THE Welshman Ncube-led MDC has launched road shows and door-to-door campaigns in Bulawayo as a recruitment strategy ahead of the 2018 elections.
BY SILAS NKALA
This was revealed by the party’s Bulawayo chairman Oscar Ncube on Thursday, who said the province had started embarking on an intensive recruitment drive as part of efforts to engage supporters and mobilise backing ahead of the 2018 elections.
“This exciting programme has in the past few weeks seen the province conducting district rallies, road shows, house meetings and door-to-door campaigns,” Ncube said.
“Last Friday the party conducted a road show and rally at Lobengula Hall where hundreds of supporters turned up. This Friday (yesterday) we are holding another caravan road show in Makokoba and Bulawayo Central districts which will culminate in another district rally at Stanley Hall in Makokoba on Saturday (today).”
Ncube said the activities will run throughout the year.
“Our message is simple: Zanu PF has failed completely to govern this country and the people of Zimbabwe have to take back their power and put an end to impunity and protect the gains of national Constitution,” Ncube said.
“The people are angry and have every right to be angry, but they are also hungry for solutions. The MDC national and provincial leadership are using these programmes to engage the people and suggest solutions. The MDC remains the only party that can be trusted to implement and improve on the current Constitution including devolution.”
The remarks come when observers have said there was instability in the opposition party following the recent sacking of Moses Mzila Ndlovu as secretary-general.
Several other officials have also defected from the party to join former Vice-President Joice Mujuru’s Zimbabwe People First.
Ncube, however, did not specify the new members who had so far been recruited in the province since the beginning of the campaign.