TWO Mbada Diamonds technicians are lucky to be alive after they were electrocuted when they were allegedly forcibly ordered to switch on power at Chiadzwa Mine on Tuesday night after government took over all the mining firms in the area.
BY KENNETH NYANGANI
The two — Wadzanayi Nicasio Musemburi, an electrician, and Simango Mutape, a mechanic assistant — were extensively burnt and are in a serious condition in hospital.
Reports coming from the diamond-rich area indicate that the two were tasked to power the workshop by Ministry of Mines and Zimbabwe Republic Police officials at midnight on the fateful day.
Sources at the mine accused both the Ministry of Mines and police of lacking concern for human life as the two victims had to wait for six hours before they were taken to Mutare for medical attention.
Reports also said two Ministry of Mines officials (names withheld) unprocedurally shut down machinery and equipment in a move that would make it difficult to resume operations in the near future.
Surrounded by shocked relatives Musemburi (47) was writhing in pain when NewsDay Weekender visited him at Mutare General Hospital on Thursday night where he is currently admitted.
Despite at first feeling uneasy to grant an interview to this publication, Musemburi finally opened up confirming that he had to wait for almost six hours to be admitted at Mutare General Hospital after the incident as there was reportedly a shortage of staff.
“I was called by a female police boss on Tuesday at midnight who said that they were afraid of staying in the dark in the workshop. The generator was failing to start, but they ordered that we should make it work. I took with me two mechanics to assist me,” he said.
“I was injured in the XRT red zone department together with one assistant mechanic. But I got injured worse because I was so close. We were trying to operate a generator which was failing to start as there was no electricity. But it then returned and everything went horribly wrong when we tried to change over,’’ he said.
“There were sparks and the flashes burnt my face, chest and hands. I had to lie in agony for almost six hours as there was no one to help me. I had left my phone in my car and the assistant mechanic was in a similar predicament.’’
Officials who talked to this publication said under normal circumstances first aid should have been administered to the injured soon after the accident and immediately rushed to the nearest clinic or hospital.
Musemburi, who was in severe pain, could not go further with the interview, but thanked Mbada Diamonds management for coming to his rescue.
“I am very thankful to the Mbada Diamonds management for helping me in this time of need,’’ he said.