Uproar over Nama promoter of the year

MARONDERA music promoter Daniel Masaiti’s victory at the 15th edition of the National Arts Merit Awards on Saturday night ahead of Partson Chimboza (Chipaz Promotions), X-MO SQUAD and SIMMAD Entertainment has stirred a hornet’s nest on social media.

Masaiti operates as Danchip Investments which runs Legends Sports Bar.

Social media users argued that Chipaz Promotions was supposed to win given that he had brought some international artistes in the country as compared to Danchip Investments who just promoted local acts.

Daniel-Masaiti Daniel Masaiti

Masaiti yesterday told NewsDay that the award also came as a surprise to him.

“I was shocked when I learnt that I was a nominee. But being a nominee was enough for me and I was excited about that. I was not expecting more than that. When they announced me as the winner my wife and I were shocked,” he said.

“It was not an easy road being recognised while operating in a small town like Marondera is the least one can expect. But the trophy is home and it’s for the people.”

Legends Sports Bar has hosted a number of both upcoming and established musicians.

8 Responses to Uproar over Nama promoter of the year

1. Tsikwela February 16, 2016 at 8:01 am #

NAMA is for promoting arts in Zimbabwe, not bringing in foreign artists!!!!

2. TONGESAI MAZHARA February 16, 2016 at 9:09 am #

NAMA is just hogwash. they are too selective. How come you exclude other genres like ZIM HIPOP . I mean you do not recognise genre up to now. You even fail to create a category for Zim hipop while creating one for Zim dance hall and all other genres. I do appreciate Zimdancehall is riding high but you must not turn a deaf ear to ZIMHIPOP since it is now popular and work paying attention. I believe your rigidity will not see you being overtaken by events. For your own information hipop is the most popular genre world wide. It is growing in all African countries with notable countries such as Zambia, South Africa, Mozambique, Botswana, Angola, Kenya, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria, and Senegal among others.That’s why you see artists from all these countries dominating on Trace Urban, Mzanzi and Channel O. So please dont be selective, promote all music genres if Zimbabwean music is ever to grow beyond what it is today. For your own information, we have excelling artists such as Trey Young, T-Gonz, Cal-Vin, Maskiri, Guluva Seven, Stunner, Tehn Diamond, Simba Tagz, Ex-Q and Rocquie. Dont tell me that Alleluya was not a hit among the generality of fans in ZIM basing on the way it was played. In SA it is equally a hit, having made waves even in Tanzania and Kenya. In short i m saying dont be rigid, recognise all genres which are making air waves in the country. Hipop is enjoying close to 50 percent airplay on youthful and progressive radio stations in Zimbabwe such as Power FM, Star FM and ZI FM.

3. ngwepa February 16, 2016 at 10:47 am #

honestly Danchip ndiye chete being an upcoming promoter he rocked 2015 every weekend he hosted big names (Mutukudzi excluded). he kept Marondera a former sleepy small town alive……Chipaz noo

4. Dee February 16, 2016 at 11:01 am #

Imi Kwnai. Who says NAMA is only for Harare based Promoters. Well done Mr Masaiti. You deserve the recognition..

5. Kudzai mutsvangiwa mumba February 16, 2016 at 10:59 pm #

Well done mr masaiti,hard work has surely paid off…

6. millla February 17, 2016 at 6:53 am #

kuunza the so called international artists and being a Harare promoter does not equal to being a winner. Masaiti (legends) also did a great job during 2015 in the music industry regardless of being based in Marondera.

7. makombe February 17, 2016 at 10:17 am #

that was fair enough but am concerned kuti Killer T with one of the best albums in 2015 walked away with nothi
    ng… Really???

8. muzansi February 17, 2016 at 2:42 pm #

NAMA should be broadcast on Harare community radio only