Political violence flares up again

Zimbabwe continues to witness cases of politically motivated violence, which manifest in different forms. FILE PICTURE

Mbare councillor, Antony Shingadeya (MDC-T), was on Tuesday night hospitalised after he was assaulted by suspected Zanu PF supporters, who besieged an opposition meeting in the politically-volatile suburb.


Shingadeya and another opposition supporter, identified as Charles Majiga, were assaulted ahead of a scheduled visit to the suburb by MDC-T leader Morgan Tsvangirai today.

Tsvangirai is visiting district party structures in a programme which has so far taken him to Highfield, Glen View and Glen Norah.

MDC-T officials said, as party officials were meeting on Tuesday night to prepare for Tsvangirai’s visit, suspected Zanu PF supporters stormed the gathering and targeted Shingadeya, who was severely assaulted before he was rushed to a private hospital.

MDC-T spokesperson Obert Gutu confirmed the violence.


“I have also gathered similar reports and I’m in the process of verifying them. It’s not surprising at all because the Zanu PF terror group, Chipangano, is very much alive and kicking in Mbare and the surrounding environs. I understand that some Zanu PF thugs attacked Councillor Shingadeya’s residence in Mbare,” he said.

MDC-T Harare chairman, Eric Murayi also confirmed the attack.

He said Tsvangirai was moving around to ensure that party structures were intact.

Efforts to get a comment from the police were fruitless last night.

Meanwhile, the MDC-T youth assembly in Harare has written to the Zimbabwe Republic Police demanding action against Zanu PF youths, who, last year, launched an orgy of violence in Mbare.

Provincial youth secretary Denford Ngadziore listed Zanu PF officials who allegedly participated in the violent attacks against MDC-T members.

The violence happened last year at the residence of Paul Gorekore, a former MDC-T councillor, where scores of opposition youths had gathered for lunch after attending a court session involving some of their members.

Three party supporters were injured and rushed to hospital.