DeMbare strikers banned

7
595

DYNAMOS strikers Takesure Chinyama and Roderick Mutuma could miss their Easycall Cup semi-final tie against Highlanders at the weekend after they were banned for four matches over violent conduct in the Chibuku Super Cup final against Harare City in October.

BY TAWANDA TAFIRENYIKA

Besides the ban, Premier Soccer League (PSL) disciplinary committee also ruled that the two should pay a $1 000 fine each.

The initial fine imposed was $1 500, but $500 was suspended on condition they do not commit the same offence this season.

The effective fine together with costs for the hearing must be paid by December 31, 2015.

The players were found guilty of charging at referee, Philani Ncube, in a violent manner after their 2-1 loss to Harare City.

Mutuma was said to be the more vocal and in the process abused the referee making references to the reasons why Zimbabwean match officials were fired from Cosafa.

Everything was captured on video and, according to the judgment, it clearly showed the two “charging” towards the referee.

The ban is with immediate effect, but if the two decide to appeal against conviction they will be able to participate in the weekend fixture.

Rodreck Mutuma and Takesure Chinyama celebrate a goal 2

Dynamos coach, Tonderai Ndiraya has already said he will advise the players to appeal.

The disciplinary committee, chaired by Vusi Vuma, said in arriving at the sentence, they took into account that there was need to ensure players did not act on their emotions.

“In arriving at the appropriate sentence, we have taken into account the fact that there is need to ensure that players are deterred from acting on their emotions,” reads part of the judgment.

“The behaviour displayed on the video is quite threatening — someone charging at the referee in that manner can only lead one to think that they may act on their emotions and possibly assault the official. A threat of violence is indeed violence. There is need, therefore, to send a very strong message to deter like-minded people.”

The disciplinary committee noted that the two players’ behaviour could have easily incited fans, but they applauded the police for swift action.

“The derogatory words were uncalled for. The accused did not show any remorse whatsoever, especially Mutuma. The accused’s defences were frivolous and without merit and contrary to what was explicit in the video. These are seasoned players, who should lead by example. As such, a deterrent sentence is, therefore, appropriate to stamp out such conduct once and for all.”

In their defence during the hearing, the two players had argued that they were metres away from the referee and never behaved in the manner they were accused to have.

Dynamos secretary, Webster Chikengezha, who attended the hearing with the players, said he had raised concern prior to the match about the referee, whom he accused of being biased against his team.

He argued that the referee had been biased and the players reacted and he went on to tell the disciplinary committee that: “Football is a game of emotions and it was unreasonable to expect players to keep quiet, especially if they feel that the decision made by the referee is wrong they will charge against the referee and this happens the world over.”

He also argued that there was selective prosecution, as How Mine players had also charged at the referee in their match against DeMbare, but nothing was done.

According to the judgment, Ncube, the referee, gave evidence to the effect that he saw both accused charge at him in a threatening manner when he had blown the whistle to end the game. Mutuma was more vocal and in the process abused him saying “Murimabharanzi (You fool), that is why you were fired from Cosafa,” among other insulting words. Chinyama was busy shouting as well.

7 COMMENTS

  1. Four games and $1k seems very lenient to me. I would be crying conspiracy theory and or Dynamos favouritism but its just good enough. Add more games to the punishment if they appeal and fail.

    • Dynamos should not fullfil that Net One fixture these people simply want to see Dynamos out of it this is very bad for the Zimbabwean soccer. How then do we expect the league to have sponsors when stupid selection procecution like this happen.

  2. “there is need to ensure that players are deterred from acting on their emotions,”What a stupid assessment and statement.What if a player scores and feels like crying,are they gonna deter that as well???

  3. I am a staunch Dynamos supporter. Condoning behaviour that was displayed by these players brings shame to the game. One just needs to look at the exemplary behaviour soccer greats such as Messi, Yaya Toure, local greats such as Joel Shambo, Stix Mtizwa, Sinyo, Japhet Mparutsa, the legend George Shaya, Peter Ndlovu who despite their deep talent, displayed and many more, displayed humility and self control on the field. The must stay and deter any would be players of such abhorrent behaviour. More so such behaviour can easily spread to the terraces and cause injury to innocent people and property damage. Discipline, discipline and more discpline is required in soccer.

  4. mutuma 6 months and chinyama 5months NO football vane dhimoni vafanha ava. havagoni bhora futi .kutinyadzisa paDSTV.

  5. Zifa irikutadza basa rayo this is no longer football we love those ethics abt it so pliz dnt spoil the worlds most beautiful game. 4 sure ndosaka vakadzingwa kucosafa

Comments are closed.