Beatrice family grapples with son’s murder


A BEATRICE family is failing to come to terms with the gruesome murder of their 22-year-old son, amid revelations that before his body was found dumped at a lay-by on November 9, he had been involved in a fracas with a Southerton-based police officer the previous night.


Detective Isaac Fekezani, who resides in Beatrice, but is stationed at Southerton Police Station, is expected to appear at the Chitungwiza Magistrates’ Court this week, facing charges of assaulting the late, Godfrey Ndirande.

Police spokesperson, Chief Superintendent Paul Nyathi confirmed that Fekezani would be arraigned before the courts.

“We can confirm that Fekezani is facing charges of assault and as police we are investigating the murder case. The case is being handled in terms of the country’s laws and nothing has been swept under the carpet, only that it is a complex case considering the circumstances,” he siad.

Fekezani’s lawyer, Willard Madzimbamuto, yesterday confirmed an enquiry had been made into a murder charge, but said the police had not provided them with information regarding the grounds on which they were launching the investigation.

Harare Magistrates’ Court

“Actually, I had been advised that we were to appear in court today (yesterday) for the assault charge, but they have not served him with the court papers,” he said.

James, the deceased’s father, yesterday told NewsDay that his son’s body was found at a lay-by about 5,1km from Beatrice along the Harare-Masvingo Highway.

“We just know that he was beaten by Fekezani, while he was with his friend, Tapiwa Kwadzanai, who is Fekezani’s girlfriend’s brother. They had been alerted by someone that Tapiwa’s sister was being assaulted and when they got there and enquired, he (Fekezani) turned to Godfrey,” James said. “Tapiwa’s mother had to pelt Fekezani with stones and he sped off in his car, but my son had sustained injuries as he was bleeding from the mouth.”

James said, after the fiasco, Godfrey went to Beatrice Motel, where he stayed until around midnight when the bar closed.

“The guard, who was manning the premises said when they closed, he escorted the barlady to her staff quarters, leaving him seated outside, but when he came back a few minutes later he was nowhere to be seen.”

“The accused, who also patronised the bar, is said to have left just before the bar closed.”

A post-mortem carried out a week after his death proved that Godfrey had been stabbed in the ribs.


Comments are closed.