Bosso boot out FC Platinum


FC PLATINUM . . . . . . . . . . . ..0
HIGHLANDERS . . . . . . . . . (0)1

FC PLATINUM’s hopes of a Premier Soccer League and cup double were shattered yesterday after they were eliminated from the EasyCall Cup at the quarter-final stage by Highlanders at Mandava Stadium, Zvishavane, with Knox Mtizwa scoring the winner deep into added time.


The Young Warriors man pushed the ball home from an Obadiah Tarumbwa square pass, who had hustled his way into the box.


The victory gives Highlanders some hope that they can finish the season with some silverware.

The Bulawayo football giants join other big guns — Dynamos, Caps United and Chicken Inn — who also progressed to the semis.

“This win means a lot to the Highlanders family. We desperately wanted this win. Thank God we got it. I’m so excited,” Mtizwa said.

As for FC Platinum, second on the log standings, the defeat brought an end to their season’s ambitions of a double, but coach Norman Mapeza is not a disappointed man.

“My guys are playing very good football. It’s not easy to build a machine like this. They are working hard, it’s unfortunate we could not progress to the next round. We created better chances, but we were a bit casual in the last minutes of the match, we should have just cleared the ball away. I will not blame anyone, its part of the game,” he said.

The platinum miners were in control of matters earlier on, with Marshal Mudehwe making a nuisance of himself on the right.

The visitors soon grew into the match and should have taken the lead on the quarter of an hour, but Mtizwa shot tamely after Kelvin Moyo had slipped up in possession.

Moments later, his striking partner Tarumbwa screwed his shot wide from inside the box.

At the other end, Obrey Chirwa used his pace to outrun Mudzingwa before releasing a shot which could not trouble Highlanders goalkeeper, Ariel Sibanda, though.

Chances continued to fall for the home side, Brian Muzondiwa dragging his shot wide before the speedy Mudehwe blasted over after he had once again got behind the Highlanders backline.

A flowing move by Bosso on 38th minute saw Bruce Kangwa galloping forward and his cross found Peter Muduhwa whose attempted backheel failed to fool FC Platinum goalie Petros Mhari.

Amini Soma Phiri’s boys thought they had taken the lead, their performance so deserved when Douglas Sibanda hit the back of the net on 41st minute, but the assistant referee’s flag halted the celebrations.

Chirwa also had a goal ruled out for an offside in optional time as the first half ended goalless.

FC Platinum started the second half like a house on fire, with their quick shot passing game mesmirising the opponents, but they appeared to run out of ideas everytime they got into promising positions.

Phiri’s reaction to the early pressure was to pull out Valentine Ndaba for Simon Munawa and almost immediately took the lead, with Kangwa providing a cross which was met by Tarumbwa, who forced a double save from Mhari.

Highlanders defender, Felix Chindungwe, then cleared off the line a Chirwa shot on 75th minute, and the striker had a header flashing wide of goal two minutes later.

Mudehwe missed his team’s mother-of-all chances on 82nd when he found himself in front of goal, but instead of just placing the ball home he opted for power, his shot hitting the stands.

He and his team were duly punished for the glaring miss when Tarumbwa danced himself into the box before laying the ball for Mtizwa, who obliged with a low shot to send the Bosso fans into a frenzy.

FC Platinum: P Mhari, I Nekati, G Bello, K Moyo, E Moyo, W Mhango, G Takwara, T Dzumbunu (W Kamudyariwa, 60’), T Mudehwe, B Muzondiwa, O Chirwa.
Highlanders: A Sibanda, E Mudzingwa, B Kangwa, N Masuku, F Chindungwe, P Muduhwa, D Sibanda, R Kutsanzira (K Nadolo, 72’), V Ndaba (S Munawa, 65’), Knox Mtizwa, O Tarumbwa,


  1. Yaah indeed Mr Mapeza its not easy to build a machine that fails to yield the results for which it was designed for.Nothing more for the Pure Plastics machine builders becasue the Castle Lager trophy if it fails to land in Harare as expected will land at Luveve and not at Mandava,if you happen to see the helicopter carrying the trophy heading towards Mandava it would have lost its track from Rufaro enroute to Luveve due to bad weather which is expected to prevail come month end, so fore warn your supporters not to celebrate when this happens on the 28th of November.

Comments are closed.