FORMER Warriors defender Thomas Sweswe has been cleared of his alleged involvement in the Asiagate football match-fixing scandal after appearing before a Zifa disciplinary team last week.
BY WELLINGTON TONI
Sweswe, who had been banned for life together with 15 other players and individuals, confirmed the news yesterday morning. “Good news, I have been cleared, now this issue is gone, thank Almighty,” Sweswe exclaimed.
But he said he was not sure whether he would look for a local team or return to South Africa when the transfer window opens on July 1.
“I have stayed for two years without playing football and considering my age, it might be difficult in South Africa, so I might look for a club here,” Sweswe said.
The former Highlanders, Dynamos and Kaizer Chiefs defender was banned on October 18, 2012 following recommendations from retired Supreme Court judge Justice Ahmed Ebrahim’s report to the Zifa Board.
Sweswe is the latest in the line of players and officials to receive the reprieve from Zifa after former Warriors coach Sunday Chidzambwa, who has already returned to club football with ZPC Kariba, former Zifa vice president Kenias Marange, Rodwell Dhlakama, Guthrie Zhokinyi and Edmore Sibanda.
- Chamisa under fire over US$120K donation
- Mavhunga puts DeMbare into Chibuku quarterfinals
- Pension funds bet on Cabora Bassa oilfields
- Councils defy govt fire tender directive
Sibanda is turning out for Northern Region Division One side Gunners.
Meanwhile, a Zifa councillors meeting set for today hangs in the balance after 14 of them were banned by the national association on Monday.
Zifa vice-president Omega Sibanda, board member finance Bernard Gwarada, four regional chairpersons Musa Mandaza (South), Willard Manyengavana (North), Piraishe Mabhena (East) and Felton Kamambo (Central) were the key persons suspended.
The councillors were suspended for attending illegal meetings and were working towards making football ungovernable, most notable the Harare May 16 meeting that ousted Zifa president Cuthbert Dube and two board members Tawengwa Hara and Fungai Chihuri from office.
Today’s meeting is basically a repeat of the May 16 event where the removal of Dube, Hara and Chihuri tops the agenda, but it remains to be seen if it will go ahead considering the fact the Sports and Recreation Commission says it will only make a decision on their fate on Monday.