Perm sec fraud case moved to August


Transport and Infrastructure Development ministry permanent secretary Munesuishe Munodawafa was yesterday further remanded to August 26 on charges of corruption related to the Air Zimbabwe insurance scam.


Magistrate Tendai Mahwe yesterday told Munodawafa that his matter had been remanded to August 26, but the State is yet to give a trial date on the case.

Munodawafa is currently on $1 000 bail with stringent conditions that include surrendering his passport with the clerk of court, reporting to the police once a week and to continue residing at his given address until the matter is concluded.

He is being represented by Jonathan Samukange, who is assisted by Tafadzwa Hungwe.

Munodawafa is facing two counts. On the first count, the State alleges after the November 2009 MA60 accident at Harare International Airport, the national airline was paid out $6,1 million by London-based Chartis Insurance Company for the plane that had become a write-off.

In turn in April 2010, Chartis sued Civil Aviation Authority of Zimbabwe for $6,1 million plus $2,4 million for loss of business by AirZim.

It is then alleged Munodawafa appointed Navistar to settle the matter with Chartis out of court and caused it to be paid a $305 000 success fee while it was known that AirZim then was insured by Marsh Insurance Brokers.

On the second charge, Munodawafa is accused of personally negotiating the leasing of an Embraer jet from Solenta Aviation of South Africa without going to tender.

He is alleged to have used a friend, Ben Dahwa, to negotiate the deal from which he was being paid a monthly $10 200 finder’s fee.

The State is still to complete investigations in the matter and provide a trial date.

Meanwhile, provincial magistrate Vakai Chikwekwe remanded a Zimbabwe National Army soldier to July 8, on charges of attempted murder after he stabbed a man following a misunderstanding in a commuter omnibus.

It is the State case that Mlondolozi Dube based in Magunje on June 22, 2015 had a misunderstanding with a fellow passenger in a commuter omnibus and at the corner of Leopold Takawira Street and Samora Machel Avenue they disembarked and had a fight.

The State alleges that Dube stabbed the complainant on his right thigh with a knife resulting in the injured person being detained at Parirenyatwa Hospital after he bled profusely.
Dube was advised to apply to the High Court for bail.