PREMIERSHIP debutants Tsholotsho Football Club realised $11 000 from their well-attended game against Highlanders at Barbourfields Stadium on Sunday with football stakeholders gobbling up a massive $16 000 from a gross total of $27 000.
BY SAKHELENI NXUMALO
Tsholotsho FC president Mandla Manyathela, who together with Castle Premier Soccer League chief executive officer Kennedy Ndebele had to pay to enter the stadium after being denied free entry by stadium security, told Southern Eye that they remained with $11 000 after paying off service providers.
“Eight thousand people paid to go into the stadium and the match grossed $27 000. After paying off levies to various service providers we pocketed just over $11 000,” Manyathela said.
The Bulawayo City Council, which has over the years turned a deaf ear to pleas by football clubs to reduce levies, pocketed more than five thousand dollars with the rest going to the PSL, Zifa, Sports and Recreation Commission and the Zimbabwe Republic Police.
The Iziqholo zeZhwane boss said hosting their first high profile match had been an eye opener.
“We learnt a lot from Sunday’s game. It was a learning process for us, but I, want to believe that we were on top of the situation and I can personally testify that there very few loopholes at the turnstiles because I myself was made to pay,” he said.
Retired footballers and journalists and even coaches of fellow premiership teams who were not carrying accreditation cards were turned away at the VIP gate by security details and when asked if they did not fear reprisals from other teams Manyathela said he was prepared to pay.
“People have got to realise that football is a business and clubs make their money from gate takings so allowing people to enjoy free entry is just not practical.
“I had to pay to get into the stadium on Sunday because I did not produce the required accreditation at the entrance and I was not the only one as even (Kennedy) Ndebele was also made to pay and yet he is the PSL chief executive officer,” Manyathela said.