HomeNewsZanu PF denying Mbare much needed investment

Zanu PF denying Mbare much needed investment

-

MBARE residents have been denied investment deals worth more than $100 million that could have turned the populous suburb into an uptown area and a world-class centre had it not been for Zanu PF violence, it has emerged.

BY MOSES MATENGA

Zanu PF youths have been at the centre of fights in the area where they recently chased away United Arab Emirates (UAE) investors who wanted to pour in more than $45 million towards construction of a state-of-the-art Shawasha business complex close to Mupedzanhamo market.

The youths also recently blocked a $15 million housing project bankrolled by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation resulting Harare City Council moving the project to Dzivaresekwa.

As if that was not enough, the local authority has also shelved another mega project that could have seen Mbare bus terminus getting a facelift by fitting it with modern electronic systems to monitor movement of buses from all over the country and region.

The deal was estimated to cost $400 000.

Council has also been forced to withdraw another $35 million project that would have led to the construction of cold rooms at Mbare Market to store perishable goods, especially vegetables.

Two years ago, businessman Alex Mashamhanda was blocked from constructing a $1,2 million food court and service station in Mbare by Zanu PF youths led by former leader Jim Kunaka.

Council business committee chairperson Herbert Gomba said if Mbare remains a hotspot, they will have to decentralise and take developmental projects to other areas in the city.

“The idea is to decentralise and seek to develop other suburbs. We don’t want to congest Mbare with activities that will be blocked in future. The market is there, but we will have some of the projects somewhere. It’s now more about politics which can’t be put food on the table to eat,” Gomba said.

Last week, Zanu PF supporters chased away UAE investors forcing the postponement to this Friday of the ground-breaking ceremony.

All had been set for the programme to start while officials, investors and councillors were waiting for Local Government minister Ignatius Chombo to arrive when Mbare councillor Martin Matinyanya led the attack ordering delegates including the foreign investors to vacate, arguing the piece of land they targetted was earmarked by small-scale investors.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading