HomeSportOff the Mark for Caps

Off the Mark for Caps


Caps UNITED . . . . (1) 1
Dynamos . . . . . (1) 1
(Caps won the match 6-5 on penalties)
CAPS United set the tone for the upcoming Castle Lager Premier Soccer League season with a morale-boosting penalty shootout victory over Dynamos in the Sino-Zimbabwe Cement Cup at Rufaro Stadium yesterday.


The match ended one-all with the penalty shootout deciding a show that never lived up to expectations, much to the disappointment of the thousands of fans.

Both teams finished the match with 10 men after red cards for Dynamos defender Sydney Linyama and Caps United’s goal scorer in regulation time Justice Jangano, following an off-the-ball tussle 11 minutes into the second half.

Walter Mukanga had equalised for Dynamos on the half-hour mark following Jangano’s scrambled opener in the 20th minute.

New Caps signing Rodreck Mutuma was brave enough to take the first penalty which he scored, followed by Ronald Pfumbidzai, goalkeeper Victor Twaliki, Leonard Fiyado and Dominic Mukandi.

For Dynamos, Augustine Mbara, Godknows Murwira, Qadr Amini, Cliff Sekete and Blessing Moyo all scored, forcing the match into the sudden death.

After the first five penalty takers had converted their penalties, and Gerald Phiri had also scored in the sudden death it was left for the stocky Dynamos midfielder Milton Makopa to bring the scores at par, but he put his effort wide to send the Caps fans into complete delirium.

For their efforts, Caps United got $15 000, a floating trophy, but most importantly, the City’s bragging rights while Dynamos got a $10 000 consolation.

Winning coach Mark Harrison said he was happy to get his first silverware with his new club, but would not read much into the pre-season friendly.

Losing coach David Mandigora said he was obviously disappointed to lose to Caps, but reckoned that there were some few positives he could pick from his team’s performance yesterday.

Caps United were the quickest off the blocks with Mutuma, hard-pressed to perform against his former team, proving a real threat every time he was in possession.

However, the real chance would arrive 20 minutes on the clock, from a set-piece, when a corner into the Dynamos box was poorly defended and Jangano pounced to give his side a deserved lead.

Mukanga, however, brought his side back into the game when he beat an offside trap from a Blessing Moyo freekick to head home from close range.
And there were to be no goals for either side in the second half, leading to the dreaded shootout.

CAPS UNITED – V Twaliki, H Zvirekwi, R Pfumbidzai, S Makatuka, J Jangano, C Munzambwa, M Muchenje (A Phiri, 70’), D Mukandi, K Nyamupfukudza (L Fiyado, 46’), T Mahori (G Phiri, 57’), R Mutuma.

DYNAMOS – T Mukuruva, Q Amini, B Moyo, S Linyama, A Mbara, G Murwira, W Mukanga (M Makopa, 67’), M Mambare, O Machapa (B Amidu, 80’), K Bulaji (D Chungwa, 67’), S Sithole.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading