HomeNewsChief Svosve finally installed

Chief Svosve finally installed


THE Svosve chieftainship wrangle ended last Friday with the installation of Kumuziva Sakirai as the substantive Chief Svosve Gahadza after family members had haggled over the issue for 10 years.

by Jairos Saunyama

The wrangle began in 2004 following the death of Chief Enock Zenda Gahadza (Svosve) and since, then Lovemore Zenda has been the acting Chief Svosve.

Chief Svosve Enock Muvirimi Zenda died from suspected food poisoning, while another champion of the cause of the Svosve people, Ganda, was found dead after he was strangled with shoe laces along the Igava-Marondera Road in 2008.

Speaking during the ceremony, president of the Chiefs’ Council Chief Fortune Charumbira urged the Svosve family to unite and work in harmony with the new chief.

“Do not use emotions in your ruling. There are a lot of people who were opposing you, but now that you are the chief, forgive those who wanted the chieftaincy.

“Those who wanted to be the chief are there, but you need to forgive them. The war is over. To those who wanted to be the chief, this is how it is: Whenever a leader is chosen, it is not interesting for one to be uncontested. Instead, there should be other candidates.

“But now that someone has been chosen, it is over. You cannot keep on fighting. If you are really of the Svosve clan, just accept that the new chief is the chosen one. Work together well,” Charumbira said.

Meanwhile, Local Government minister Ignatius Chombo failed to turn up for the event, leaving Provincial Affairs minister Joel Biggie Matiza to preside over the installation ceremony.

The Svosve chieftainship debacle was between the Gambiza and Jera families who all claimed rights to the throne.

The Svosve clan is famed for being the first people to invade white-owned farms when the late Chief Enock Zenda Gahadza (Svosve) led his people in a surprise invasion of Daskop Farm, then owned by Ancus Kenbell, to signal the beginning of the chaotic agrarian reform programme in 2000.

A fierce stand-off developed between the two parties, forcing the government to intervene.

The late Vice-President Simon Muzenda then visited the farm and transferred invaders to Home Park Farm, owned by John Fabes.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading