Tsvangirai backtracks on social media

MDC-T leader Morgan Tsvangirai yesterday backtracked on his earlier directive barring party members from debating political issues on social media platforms after the order was widely condemned as undemocratic.

BY PAIDAMOYO MUZULU

Party spokesperson Obert Gutu in a statement, said the directive was not meant to stifle debate, but guide MDC-T activists on how they should behave on social media platforms.

“We would like to put the record straight that president Morgan Tsvangirai has not banned party members from using social media such as WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter etc.

“President Morgan Tsvangirai is a champion of democracy and free speech and indeed his track record as the country’s most popular politician speaks for itself,” Gutu said.

“Party members are free to use social media in accordance with the guidelines and standards that are being set up by the party leadership.

“Social media platforms should not be abused to promote hatred, division, gossiping and rumour-mongering. These guidelines are being made available to all party members who would like to use social media platforms to communicate amongst themselves.”

Tsvangirai last week adopted a hardline stance after he felt that the social media was being used to denigrate party leaders.

The developments came against the backdrop of a highly contested standing committee poll that saw party stalwarts like
former national organising secretary Nelson Chamisa and deputy secretary-general Tapiwa Mashakada falling by the wayside at the party’s congress late last year.

Tsvangirai in the spirit of unifying his party reacted by appointing Chamisa to the national executive committee, but there was no room for Mashakada.

The ex-Premier has in the past month met provincial party
structures in Harare and Chitungwiza and chastised them for using
social media to fan factionalism and call for fresh elections at an extraordinary congress next year.

8 Responses to Tsvangirai backtracks on social media

  1. Denford Yaurai February 10, 2015 at 10:03 am #

    Tsvangirai did not backtrack. He just clarified his position.

    • makwinja February 10, 2015 at 11:22 am #

      Newsday = MDC Renewal + MDC Ncube so what more can you expect?

      • maita February 10, 2015 at 3:46 pm #

        True Makwinja they have been flogging a dead horse. Tsvangirayi banned hate speech by MDC-T members against each other on social platforms and you guys misinformed us and you call it backtracking? Newsday you can do better even if you have your favourites

      • Mafirakureva February 11, 2015 at 7:43 am #

        Newsday and Trevor Ncube have always disliked Tsvangirai and they badmouth him every chance they get which is a shame indeed…

    • Drudge Report February 10, 2015 at 1:15 pm #

      How do you clarify something that was already in black and white? The memo that was sent out will continue to be in force until and unless it is rescinded by another memo and not press statement from Gutu. But im not surprised by bootlickers like you who fall hook line and sinker even when the truth is as clear as the blue sky

  2. Charakupa February 10, 2015 at 12:11 pm #

    Newsday. The Independent and The Standard are not independent newspapers , we all know they are owned and controlled by zanu pf proxies , chief among them is Trevor Ncube. Since 1999 they are just anti- Tsvangirai. They showed it during the MDC split and here they continue to do so.
    Lets promote rightness in society, just look where we are today.

    • Mafirakureva February 11, 2015 at 7:45 am #

      Well said Charakupa, Trevor Ncube has always that foolish professor called Welshman to lead MDC

  3. tha Carter V February 11, 2015 at 9:01 am #

    newsday whats up

© 2016 NewsDay Zimbabwe. All Rights Reserved.

DMMA logo