DYNAMOS could be plunged into further player crisis with reports yesterday suggesting that Washington Pakamisa has joined a team in Mozambique.
According to reports, the 30-year-old has signed a contract with Mozambican Premiership side Liga Desportivo Muculmana de Maputo after impressing at trials.
Though the exact length of his contract is yet to be revealed, Mozambique media reports suggest Pakamisa will be linking up with his new team as soon as next week.
The report shows that the striker who was Dynamos’ top goal scorer last season is one of the six foreigners including striker OkoBota of Cameroon who the club has so far signed.
Pakamisa’s mobile phone was unreachable with a source yesterday saying he is currently in Maputo finalising his move.
However, Dynamos team manager Richard Chihoro yesterday said Pakamisa still has a running contract with the club making it impossible for him to join another club.
“He has been unreachable in the last few days and did not turn up at our meeting with the other players last Friday.
“I’m hearing that he is in Mozambique where he has signed for Liga Muculmana, but I don’t think it’s true because he still has a one-year contract with us,” Chihoro said.
“The last time I spoke to him was sometime last week when I was notifying him about the Friday meeting, but he told me he had gone to Bindura to look for a school place for a child. Then on Thursday I tried to call him again reminding him about the meeting, but he was unreachable up to today (yesterday).”
If Pakamisa’s move to Muculmana is successful, it would leave Dynamos in turmoil as they are currently battling to tie down the core of their squad from last season.
At least 11 senior players whose contracts with the club expired at the end of the year did not turn up at the Friday meeting with their future with the club very much hazy.
Besides Pakamisa, some of the big names from last season who were absent from the meeting are Devon Chafa, Tafadzwa Rusike, Simba Sithole, Rodreck Mutuma, Russel Madamombe, Tawanda Muparati, who has since joined How Mine, Thomas Magorimbo, Clive Kawinga, Murape Murape, Themba Ndlovu and Ronald Chitiyo.
Ndlovu has joined Harare City while Chitiyo is now at Royal Eagles in the South Africa First National Division.
Stephen Alimenda, a soccer star of the year finalist was also conspicuous by his absence at the Friday event.
But Chihoro quashed any fears saying the midfield hardman whose hometown is Kwekwe, was out of town and could not make it to the capital.
According to club’s secretary-general Webster Chikengezha, the club is making efforts to retain a number of players who are out of contract, but with very little success.
The club has also made some additions to the squad with five players unveiled on Friday ahead of the team’s first training session this morning.
The five who were formally introduced to their teammates at a local restaurant are former Caps United forward Kelvin Bulaji, ex-DC Academy player Carlos Rusere, goalkeeper Tonderai Mateyaunga who was with ZPC Kariba last season, Nigel Gandari, a Dynamos junior, but was out on loan last year and Godknows Murwira snapped from Shabanie Mine.
However, as it stands, it appears Dynamos will start the season with a very thin attack with Bulaji expected to lead the line in the event that Sithole and Mutuma do not renew.
While Bulaji is an exciting prospect and featured prominently for Caps United, to expect him to shoulder the entire responsibility of spearheading the Dynamos attack would perhaps be asking for too much from the 23-year-old.
The least said about the other strikers Anesu Gondo and Patrick Kumbula the better, who reportedly club is hunting in Bulawayo.