HEALTH and Child Care minister David Parirenyatwa has said his ministry urgently requires an additional $3,5 million to adequately prepare for an outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus.
Parirenyatwa said the $132 000 they received from Treasury had all gone towards training and awareness campaigns.
“Government gave us $132 000 for Ebola training across the country which is mainly targeting health workers, but the money is not enough,” Parirenyatwa said.
“We need about $3,5 million since we want to increase preventive measures and awareness programmes.
“There is real need for health workers training, especially those who handle patients at the casualty.”
Meanwhile, Wilkins Infectious Diseases Hospital yesterday opened its doors to the public, six days after its closure due to a “suspected Ebola” patient who had been admitted at the institution.
Harace City Council health director Prosper Chonzi said the patient, originally from the Democratic Republic of Congo, was discharged after testing negative to Ebola.
“We received the results late yesterday (Tuesday) and it was negative for Ebola which was what we were expecting anyway,” Chonzi said.
“The patient has since been discharged, she was doing well and we have since re-opened the hospital to the public.”
Zimbabwe has been on high alert for Ebola whose epicentre is West Africa where it has claimed over 3 000 lives over past few months.