HomeSportSoccerTriangle stun FC Platinum

Triangle stun FC Platinum


TRIANGLE . . . . . . (0) 2
FC PLATINUM . . . . . . 0


NORMAN Mapeza has discovered that Castle Lager Premiership football is a not a bed of roses after all after FC Platinum fell to their second consecutive defeat, this time at the hands of Triangle at Gibbo Stadium yesterday.

Since making his return to the local league, Mapeza beat Black Rhinos 1-0 at Rimuka, but lost by the same scoreline to Highlanders in his first game at Mandava.

And yesterday, he came up against Biggie Zuze — who is under pressure for indifferent results in the league despite reaching the final of the NetOne-sponsored One  Wallet Cup and the last eight of the Chibuku Cup.

The home side got their goals through impressive central midfielder Praise Tonha in the 63rd minute before substitute Tatenda Tsuro added the sucker punch in the 90th minute.
Zuze was over the moon with the win.

“I am happy for collecting maximum points. FC Platinum are a good side and it is always nice to collect points against such teams. We improved significantly especially in our defence and midfield. And the guys did well by converting the opportunities in the second half and the substitutions made a difference,” he said.
His counterpart Mapeza said they need to up their sleeves in their upcoming matches.

“It’s now two consecutive games losing our matches, so we need to work very hard. We only showed up in the last 15 minutes of the match,” he said.

The match started on a slow pace with both teams sizing each other as they were cautious at the back and Tonha watched in disbelief in the 10th minute as his 30-metre pile drive was parried away for a corner kick by the visitor goalkeeper Francis Tizayi.

Tineyi Chitora thought he had thrust Triangle into the lead in the 26th minute, but his effort was ruled out for an offside by first assistant referee Tendayi Chavhanga.

The visitors almost opened the flood gates two minutes later when Mitchelle Katsvairo fed Ashley Mukwena inside the box but he fluffed the chance before Nelson Melson cleared an Ian Nekati for a corner in the 39th minute as the first half fizzled out goalless.

But Triangle were awarded a penalty in the 59th minute when the visitors defender Qadr Amini was adjudged to have handled inside his box and Rusape-based referee Brighton Chimene did not hesitate to point to the spot.

But goalkeeper Ronald Mudimu failed to beat his opposite number Tizayi after his shot rattled the post.

But four minutes later after Tonha benefited from a defence mix-up to slot the ball home before Tsuro, who came in for Brian Juwayeyi in the last stages had the last say in the match after heading home in the 90th minute.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading