HomeNewsKadungure gives State ultimatum

Kadungure gives State ultimatum


THE lawyer representing suspected fraudster and flamboyant businessman Genius Kadungure has given the State an ultimatum to provide a trial date on October 1, failing which he will apply for refusal of further remand.


Kadungure (30), if alleged to have defrauded two Zanu PF officials of large sums of money after he mispresented that he could supply them with mining pumps at competitive prices.

He has, however, denied the charge and is out of custody on $1 500 bail coupled with stringent reporting conditions.

His lawyer, Tafadzwa Hungwe, yesterday notified presiding magistrate Milton Serima that he would apply for refusal of further remand if by the next remand date, October 1, the State seeks another postponement.

Prosecutor Sharon Mashavira assured the court that the State would provide the trial date on the next remand date.

In November 2012, Kadungure is alleged to have connived with two accomplices to create a fictitious company, Transco Civil Engineering, purportedly based in South Africa.

They opened an account for the said company at ABSA Bank.

It is alleged that Kadungure then created an e-mail account with the name procurement@marangediamonds.com and pretended that he was a representative of Marange Resources.

He then contacted Chegutu West legislator Dexter Nduna (Zanu PF) and his partner identified only as Gatawa in court papers over the phone and told them he was the chief buyer for Marange Resources and could facilitate supply of mining pumps at competitive prices.

The court heard that Nduna and his partner showed interest in the deal, after which Kadungure referred them to the non–existent company Transco Civil Engineering on the pretext that it was a reputable pump supplier.

On December 4, it is alleged that Gatawa sent his brother Enock to South Africa to purchase the pumps.

He was ordered to deposit R1 046 890 for the purchase of 10 flight pumps in the ABSA bank account and after the transfers successfully went through, personnel from Transco Civil Engineering advised Enock to go back to Zimbabwe and check for his parcel with DHL within three days time.

Three weeks later, on December 12, Gatawa went to DHL at the Harare International Airport branch only to receive a parcel of cellphone chargers.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading