THE long-promised Coventry Road commuter omnibus holding bay is now expected to be officially opened by Local Government minister Ignatius Chombo tomorrow ending years of speculation of abuse of funds meant for the project.
Harare City Council spokesperson Leslie Gwindi said although there had been delays and miscommunication on the actual date of the official opening, the scheduled date had been set for tomorrow with workers putting finishing touches on the bay.
“We had said we will be testing from Monday to Thursday [today] and even in our communication to the minister, we said we would be opening on Friday,” Gwindi said.
He said the city holding bay would have a radio system at the Speke Avenue/Cameron Street rank to control traffic.
“In Harare, the assumption is that people are naughty, but the same has worked in Bulawayo. There will be a radio system and a respectable amount of enforcement to make sure this happens,” Gwindi said.
“Cars will be called to pick up passengers in the city centre at designated places and another thing is that we will be able to monitor compliance on paying licences by kombi operators. A lot of non-compliant actors will be caught.”
There has been confusion and speculation on why the holding bay opening was being delayed amid reports of misappropriation of part of the $500 000 meant for the project.
Stakeholders have expressed mixed feelings on the strategy by council to decongest the city centre. City fathers remain hopeful the move will go a long way in taming the traffic jungle in the central business district.