HomeNewsFeuding Zanu PF MPs in court

Feuding Zanu PF MPs in court


TWO feuding Zanu PF MPs in the Midlands — Gokwe-Kana’s Owen Ncube and Kwekwe Central’s Masango Matambanadzo, yesterday appeared at Kwekwe Magistrates’ Court one after the other following their violent clashes last month.


They were both remanded out of custody to September 15 and 16 respectively on $100 bail each.

Ncube appeared in court facing charges of threatening to destroy Matambanadzo’s property last month, while Matambanadzo also appeared before the same court for allegedly assaulting his Zanu PF counterpart.

Ncube was represented by Charles Chigomere while Matambanadzo and his bodyguard Beden Mawire, who also appeared together with his boss facing charges of assaulting Ncube last month, were represented by Liberty Mashanyare.

Matambanadzo (49) and Mawire (26) are accused of punching Ncube in the face following a high-speed chase at Amaveni shopping centre on July 13.

The two denied the charge and were remanded out of custody on $100 bail each to September 15 for trial before magistrate Taurai Manwere.

The State led by Salome Maunganidze alleges that “Matambanadzo punched Ncube with a fist on the right eye causing him some swelling and a mild headache”.

The State will produce a medical report from Kwekwe General Hospital to bolster its case Mawire is facing another charge of malicious damage to property after he allegedly threw an empty beer bottle and smashed the windscreen of Ncube’s Toyota vehicle on the day.

In a counter report, the State also alleges that before Ncube was assaulted by Matambanadzo he had addressed a group of youths at Amaveni shopping centre where he denounced Matambanadzo and asked them not to support the Kwekwe legislator.

He is also alleged to have told the youths that one of them Unique Chiduza was going to burn down a shop belonging to Matambanadzo.

Chiduza then went and told Matambanadzo about the statements, which resulted in him chasing after Ncube who was now leaving the shopping centre.

In his warned a cautioned statement Matambanadzo said after being informed of the threats he went to see Ncube so that he could ask him to explain his statements and not to assault him.

The State alleges that Matambanadzo was filled with fear after the message was conveyed to him by Chiduza.

Ncube was remanded out of custody on $100 bail to September 16 for trial.

Both MPs, who boast support within Zanu PF structures, were each accompanied by a large contingent of youths and supporters who literally took over the court yard and room.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading