HomeSportSoccerDinyero off to winning start

Dinyero off to winning start


HARARE CITY . . . . . . . . (1) 2
CHIREDZI UNITED . . . . (1) 1


HARARE City came from behind to beat Chiredzi United in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match at Rufaro Stadium yesterday to give coach Masimba Dinyero a winning start after being elevated to the post early this week.

Scholar Hadebe gave Chiredzi United a 10th-minute lead with a rising header, but Osborne Mukuradare equalised with a header of his own on 40 minutes.

Midfielder James Jam ensured maximum points for the hosts when he side footed a cross from Francesco Zekumbawira early in the second half.

The win saw the City Fathers moving out of the relegation to 12th position with 18 points although that could change after the weekend matches.

As for Chiredzi, they remain rooted at the basement of the log standings with their paltry 10 points.

Dinyero, who was promoted to his current position after the dismissal of Bigboy Mawiwi early this week, was naturally happy to collect maximum points.

The former Dynamos midfielder was also in charge when City beat Chiredzi United in the reverse fixture and was also at the helm when the team drew 1-1 with Hwange a fortnight ago when Mawiwi was attending a coaching course.

Interestingly, when Mawiwi returned to take charge of the Hwange reverse fixture last week, the team lost 2-0, a result which could have tipped the scales.

“We did not start well and we conceded from a mistake, but the goal was an eye opener and we regrouped well. I’m happy with the way the team responded and I’m hoping we will perform even better in our next assignments,” said Dinyero.

Dinyero has been given three matches to get the job on a substantive basis, with Moses Chunga’s name being mentioned to take over if he fails the test. Chunga watched yesterday’s match.
Ntini said his players did well but were unfortunate to lose.
Despite the precarious position they are currently in, the outspoken coach thinks his team will survive relegation.
There was nothing to separate the two sides early in the match but it was Harare City who created the first real chance in the eighth minute when Mukuradare’s shot needed a double save from goalkeeper Stephen Chimusoro.

Then two minutes later, Chiredzi went in front when a Malvin Gako’s cross from the right found Hadebe to head home.

City came close to finding the equaliser 10 minutes later, but the exciting Martin Vengesai dragged his shot wide from inside the box after some good work on the left wing by Benson Maglasi.

The home side continued to pile on the pressure on their opponents and it paid off when Mukuradare met Vengesai’s cross to beat Chimusoro as the two sides went to the half-time break level.
City had a frantic start to the second half and deservedly surged ahead when Zekumbawira powered his way into the box from the right before laying the ball for Jam for an easy goal.

Harare City: M Nyamupangedengu, T Mamvura, T Chiworeso, D Kutyauripo, A Chivheya, J Jam, R Uchena, O Mukuradare, M Vengesai (M Mburayi, 78’), B Maglasi (W Manondo, 65’), F Zekumbawira.
Chiredzi: S Chimusoro (B Chipula, 73’), R Sengu, D Bakali, D Sengu, T Mupungu, M Gako (S Musimbo, 67’), S Hadebe, T Mutete (S Tsuro, 69’), M Muneri, M Chinembiri, D Temwanjira.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading