HomeSportChiredzi stun Buffaloes in seven goal thriller

Chiredzi stun Buffaloes in seven goal thriller


Buffaloes . . . . (2)3
Chiredzi FC . . .(2)4
CHIREDZI FC overcame their woes in the Premiership campaign with a spirited performance to beat army side Buffaloes 4-3 in a thrilling Chibuku Super Cup first round tie at Sakubva yesterday.


The Lowveld-based side came into the match as underdogs as they are currently at the basement of the Castle Lager Premier Soccer League log standings with 11 points from 19 matches.

The match was delayed by almost 10 minutes as Chiredzi FC team medic Emmanuel Chituku refused to vacate the technical bench despite not having the required licence to sit on bench.

He finally left the technical bench after the intervention of police officers. Chiredzi FC are yet to pay for licenses for their assistant coaches Murinye Dzingai and Tinashe Zvishiri.

Gishon Ntini yesterday cut a lonely figure on the bench as he took all the responsibilities, including being the team’s medic.

The match started on a slow tempo with both teams taking a cautious approach as they were content on sizing each other up, but it was Buffaloes who opened the scoring in the 18th minute through Katsigu Juwakinyu after he was set up by the side’s skipper Jacob Muzokomba.

The visitors almost responded in the 23th minute, but defender Phillip Chandisaita blocked from the line Sam Msimbo header to heave a huge sigh of relief for the home fans.

Chiredzi however found the equaliser a minute later when striker David Temwanjira let loose a scorcher just from the opposition box to beat off-form Buffaloes goalkeeper Blessing Mwandimutsira.

Gangling striker Lloyd Katongomara had the chance to thrust the home side into lead in the 36th minute but he shot wide inside the box.

But the energetic Katongomara finally came good in the 39th minute when he roasted Chiredzi FC defender Tinashe Mutete and David Sengu on the left flank before placing the ball on the near post to beat Chiredzi FC goalkeeper Simon Kafitire.

The match went into a thriller mode just a minute before half-time when Tawanda Muyendi who was making his debut for Chiredzi FC headed home Msimbo’s cross.
Chiredzi FC started the second half a more organised side when Msimbo shot on target with few inches.

Two minutes later, Temwanjira scored his second goal of the afternoon from close range in a build-up that started from Tawanda Mpungu who passed to Msimbo who then fed the scorer.

The visitors scored again in the 56th minute before referee Jimmy Dzingai awarded Buffaloes a penalty in the 76th minute after Katongomara was fouled by Munashe Chinembeza inside the box. Up stepped Muzokomba to restore parity.

Gishon Ntini said his players produced a good outing before commenting on the licences issue.

His counterpart, Buffaloes assistant coach Timothy Masachi who was in charge yesterday as the side’s head coach Luke Masomere is still reportedly attending a coaching course in the capital, said they conceded silly goals.

It was another good day in office for another Lowveld-based side Triangle who edged Hwange 4-3 in a penalty shootout at Colliery Stadium yesterday in the Chibuku first round.

The match had ended 0-0 in regulation time.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading