HomeSportSoccerChaos as Dynamos crash out

Chaos as Dynamos crash out


DYNAMOS . . . . . . . . . . . 0
BLACK RHINOS . . . .(0) 1
THERE was chaos at Gwanzura Stadium as the Chibuku Super Cup first round match between Dynamos and victors Black Rhinos degenerated into a fist-fight in the dying minutes of the game.


Referee Batsirai Muchenje shows a red card to Black Rhinos player Abel Gada and Dynamos striker Rodreck Mutuma while Black Rhinos coach Jostein Mathuthu tries to stop him from handing out the cards
Referee Batsirai Muchenje shows a red card to Black Rhinos player Abel Gada and Dynamos striker Rodreck Mutuma while Black Rhinos coach Jostein Mathuthu tries to stop him from handing out the cards

Dynamos striker Rodreck Mutuma and Rhinos defender Abel Gada came to blows and exchanged a few quick shots in injury time. Both players were shown straight red cards by referee Batsirai Muchenje.

Rhinos coach Jostein Mathuthu and his assistant Gift Kamuriwo were also expelled from the bench for their involvement in the scuffle.

The two could be seen arguing with the referee before ordering their players off the pitch as things threatened to get out of hand, but the situation soon calmed and the match resumed.

The fans got involved too, pelting missiles onto the pitch before police intervened to restore order.

The army side got the victory through substitute Nesbert Padzarondora’s deflected shot with just eight minutes remaining on the match.

Mathuthu, in his assessment of the game and the events that happened towards the end of the encounter, alleged conspiracy against his side.

“We were fighting against the whole nation and we had to be brave and that comes with such a reward — being expelled from the bench. Anyway, even the son of God was sacrificed for the sins he did not commit. I went onto the pitch because I wanted to quieten the situation. There were missiles in the field of play and I wanted to stabilise the situation,” Mathuthu said.

For Dynamos, the loss was perhaps a befitting end to what was a terrible week which saw players boycotting training over winning bonuses and allowances.

Reports yesterday also suggested the players, who did not train for this match, staged a mini sit-in on the team bus on arrival at the match venue and threatened not to fulfil the game before they were persuaded out.

“The result was very unfortunate. The match was balanced, we had our chances but we could not get a goal and they took theirs hence we lost the match,” Pasuwa, who refused to be drawn into commenting about the anarchy at his club, said.

Coming into the match without holding a single training session the whole week, Dynamos struggled with their game earlier on and could have been punished four minutes into the match, but Steven Matsangaise blasted his effort over from four yards out.

But they soon regrouped and began to find their rhythm. They were next to threaten when Mutuma was put through by a lovely Ronald Chitiyo pass, but his shot was cleared off the line by a defender.

The home side had the better possession as the half progressed, but did very little with the ball in terms of creating chances.

Simba Sithole, looking lively playing on the wing, tried his luck from range, but failed to find the target and Murape Murape’s speculative shot towards the half-time break was dipping into the top right corner before Rhinos keeper Samuel Mafukidze made a good reaction save to keep it out.

Two minutes into the second half, Thomas Magorimbo’s shot went just wide before Mutuma’s glancing header also failed to find the target.

At the other end, left-back Simon Choenda sneaked behind the defenders to meet a cross from the right, but miscued his shot horribly wide.

It was Dynamos who were clearly on top of the situation, but Augustine Mbara was denied from a free kick just after the hour mark. Against the run of the play, Rhinos scored the only goal of the match when half-time substitute Padzarondora’s shot ricocheted off Matsangaise’s sheen and changed direction to beat Dynamos’ goalie Artwel Mukandi.

The brawl then ensued minutes after the goal, with Mutuma and Gada exchanging punches in a shocking act that should not be tolerated on a football pitch.
When play resumed, Dynamos threw everything forward, but Rhinos managed to hold on to their lead to progress to the second round of the tournament.


Dynamos: A Mukandi, T Ndlovu, A Gwatidzo, A Mbara, T Magorimbo, S Alimenda, R Chitiyo (R Madamombe, 69’), M Murape (C Kawinga, 63’), T Rusike, S Sithole, R Mutuma.
Rhinos: S Mafukidze, S Choenda, W Chakanyuka, B Homora, A Gada, D Mbewe, S Matsangaise, L Chiwunga (N Padzarondora, 46), B Muzondiwa, W Kapinda (R Machaya, 85’), M Kurewa (B Sande, 85’).
Chibuku Super Cup First Round Results at a Glance
Yesterday: Dynamos 0 Black Rhinos 1, Highlanders 1 Shabanie Mine 0, Buffaloes 3 Chiredzi 4, How Mine 1 Chicken Inn 0, Hwange 0 Triangle 0 (Triangle won 4-3 on penalties)
Saturday: Caps United 3 Chapungu 0, ZPC Kariba 0 Harare City 1, FC Platinum 3 Bantu Rovers 0

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading