CHITUNGWIZA council employees yesterday called off their week-long wage strike following the intervention of Public Service, Labour and Social Welfare minister Nicholas Goche last Friday.
The workers downed their tools last week demanding payment of their outstanding salaries for the past 13 months amid reports that the council owed them $11 million in salary arrears.
Workers’ union spokesperson Ephraim Katsina told NewsDay that all employees had resumed their duties, but referred further questions to secretary-general for the Zimbabwe Urban Councils Workers’ Union, Moses Mahlangu.
“Workers are back at their stations as we speak and the matter will be decided by the courts,” Katsina said.
However, Mahlangu could not be reached for comment as his mobile phone went unanswered.
The industrial action had paralysed service delivery in the dormitory town including council-run health centres and garbage collection.
Goche last Friday ordered the protesting workers to go back to work within 24 hours or face legal action arguing that it was unjustified for them to continue with the industrial action since the matter had been referred to court.
Part of the order read: “Pending determination of this matter, I further direct that the collective job action be terminated immediately and in any case within 24 hours of service of this order.”