HomeSportSoccerZvirekwi speaks on Highlanders move

Zvirekwi speaks on Highlanders move

-

HIGHLANDERS are reportedly plotting a swoop on Caps United midfielder Hardlife Zvirekwi with talks between the player and the Bulawayo Premiership football club said to be at an advanced stage.

HENRY MHARA

A source yesterday said Zvirekwi has already agreed personal terms with Highlanders and the player was expected to complete his move when the transfer window opens on July 1.

Both Highlanders and Zvirekwi have distanced themselves from the move.

“Negotiations are on and I can confirm that personal terms have been agreed. Highlanders will soon approach Caps United over the player who should join during the midseason break,” said the source.

But the 27-year-old Zvirekwi yesterday pledged his allegiance to Caps United, and told NewsDay Sport that he intends to see out his contract with the Green Machine which expires on December 31 2015.

“My contract with Caps United expires next year and until then I’m still their player. If there is anyone who wants my services then they should talk to my club. Highlanders have not approached me personally, but I am seeing these rumours on social networks. Maybe they are engaging at a club level,” Zvirekwi said.

Earlier on, Zvirekwi had been forced to defend himself from the Caps United fans on social media, who were questioning his loyalty.

The midfielder put himself on a collision course with a section of the club supporters after he refused to travel with the team to Chapungu for a league match a fortnight ago in protest over salaries and bonuses.

“I am very much a Caps player and I will be there till my contract expires next season and even beyond that if I do not find suitors outside the country and this thing that I have signed for Highlanders is actually news to me”

“You know when something happens people always find reasons and ways of explaining that,  but the truth is I am here to stay and I do not want to leave this club even though we have challenges.  I believe they will pass,” Zvirekwi was quoted as having said on Caps United News Facebook page.

Caps United public relations officer Joyce Kapota said they have not received any offers for Zvirekwi while Bosso chief executive officer Ndumiso Gumede rubbished the reports as “groundless rumours”.

Caps United will this Sunday travel to Chiredzi FC looking for their first win on the road.

Meanwhile, Ndumiso Gumede said Ajax Cape Town bound Milton Ncube will not be available for the team’s clash against Dynamos at the National Sports Stadium on Sunday.

Highlanders were hoping to use the player at least for this match before he leave for the Super Diski as they had not received any letter from the Cape Town-based team on the exact date they wanted him to join. However, Gumede said the letter duly arrived yesterday, which states that Ncube should arrive at Ajax today to begin preseason training with his new club.

“I have just received the letter and they want him by the 19th which is tomorrow (today). The coaches have been caught unaware because they were busy preparing for the Dynamos match with him in mind. That is what happens when you depend on borrowed things,” Gumede said.

Ahead of the big clash, Gumede however said Kudakwashe Mahachi and Peter “Rio” Moyo, all South Africa-bound, are available for the match, but only if they pass a late fitness test.

Dynamos are also going into the match paralysed, with first choice goalkeeper George Chigova expected to leave for South Africa today to join his new club SuperSport United.

Tawanda Muparati, Masimba Mambare, Clive Kawinga and Devon Chafa are all croaked and save for Chafa, the rest are not likely to recover in time for the Sunday match.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading