THE final of the women’s NetOne knockout football tournament scheduled for this weekend has been postponed once again amid growing fears that the match might not even take place after all.
Zifa women football administrator Theresa Maguraushe yesterday said the match between Black Rhinos Queens and Inline Academy which had been set for Rufaro Stadium on Sunday, has been rescheduled.
“The match is no longer taking place on Sunday,” Maguraushe confirmed.
“I hear there are some signatories who are not around so the match has been put on hold.”
Maguraushe said the new date has not been confirmed, referring further queries to women’s football boss Miriam Sibanda and NetOne spokesperson Rutendo Chabururuka, who were both unavailable to comment.
Sibanda’s mobile phone went unanswered as she was attending a workshop at the Zifa Village while Chabururuka was said to be out of office yesterday and his mobile phone was unreachable.
But a NetOne source said the match will definitely go ahead at a later date, quelling rumours that the mobile network provider has cancelled the match completely.
“The match was supposed to take place this weekend but we had some logistical problems. The bosses are not around this weekend so we have seen it fit to postpone it,” the source said.
“There are important people, some ministers who were invited for the event, but they have said they are busy this weekend hence we have moved it to a later date.
“We want all the important people to be there so that we can give the match and women football, the value it deserves.”
The tournament kicked off in January and reached the semi-final stage on April 7.
The winner of the match will get $8 000 while the losing finalists will walk away $5 000 richer.
Semi-finalists Mufakose Queens and Cyclone are set to pocket $3 000 for reaching the last four while the quarter-finalists were each given $1 000.
The player, who impressed the most through-out the tournament and the top goal scorer after the final match, will also be rewarded.