HIGHLANDERS attacking midfielder Milton Ncube has joined Ajax Cape Town on a two-year contract, the South African Premiership football club announced yesterday morning.
His deal has a two-year option.
Ncube reportedly signed the deal with the Urban Warriors during the African Nations Championships (Chan) tournament in South Africa at the beginning of the year and will be joining the South African side next month for their pre-season training.
Ajax executive director Ari Efstathiou confirmed Ncube joining them on their website yesterday soon after the player, used in the national team by coach Ian Gorowa as a left-back, returned from Tanzania where the Warriors fell 1-0 to the Taifa Stars in the first round first leg of the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers in Dar es Salaam on Sunday.
“I can confirm that Ajax Cape Town have signed the Zimbabwean, Milton Ncube. We signed the player during the 2014 Chan Tournament; he signed a two-year contract with a two-year option,” Efstathiou said.
Bosso are getting nothing from the player’s move to the South African side as Ncube signed a one-year contract with the Bulawayo giants, after his previous contract ended on December 3 last year, with the current one flexible and allowing him to move.
Highlanders legend Amin Soma-Phiri, who has rights to the player, yesterday confirmed that a deal was in the offing between Ncube and Ajax, but referred questions to Bosso.
“The only thing that I can confirm is that I own the player and there is a deal that is going on, but it is not yet complete. It can only be complete when I am happy. I have not received anything. What are Highlanders saying? I took the boy to Highlanders,” Soma-Phiri said.
Highlanders chairman Peter Dube said the Bulawayo giants had not received anything official from Ajax Cape Town regarding the Warriors left-back.
Highlanders head coach Kelvin Kaindu was also non-committal on the departure of the player.
“It will be difficult for me to comment on that issue. Nothing official has come to the club and we have not heard anything from the player. Until there is official communication, then I will be able to comment,” Kaindu said.
Ncube becomes the fifth Zimbabwean player in recent years to don the Urban Warriors colours after Khama Billiat who moved to South African Premier Soccer League champions Mamelodi Sundowns last year, and former How Mine striker Simba Sithole, who joined them at the beginning of the year.
Tafadzwa Rusike and Willard Katsande have also played for the Urban Warriors.
Ncube, who has played in the lower division for FC Windermere, has also been at Shooting Stars and Motor Action.
Another big blow for Highlanders will also be losing attacking midfielder Kudakwashe Mahachi, who is on loan to Bosso from Mamelodi Sundowns after entering a five-year deal with the Brazilians and has also been targeted by French Ligue 1 club Monaco.
After the Chan tournament, Peter “Rio” Moyo had also been tipped to make a move to Mpumalanga Black Aces.
Moyo has been struggling with his form though this season and has missed a number of matches at Highlanders.