HomeSportZPC Kariba stun Dynamos

ZPC Kariba stun Dynamos


DYNAMOS . . . . . . . . . . . . 0
ZPC KARIBA . . . . . . . (0) 1

IT was a huge setback for defending league champions Dynamos in these early stages of the title race as a stoppage time Artwell Nyamiwa goal settled the contest at the National Sports Stadium yesterday.


After 90 minutes of play, in which Dynamos wasted numerous chances, the goal came inside the three added-on minutes when the dreadlocked striker, who had come in early in the second half, was allowed space inside the box to get a winner with a thumping shot.

Leftback Augustine Mbara came closest to finding the equaliser with the last kick of the match, although his diagonal shot beat ZPC Kariba goalkeeper Tendai Hove it could not find the target.

Dynamos coach Kalisto Pasuwa constantly changed tactics and his attacking players in search of a goal throughout the match, but it was an afternoon which again exposed the need to find a real goal scorer, and hopes of defending the title seriously dented.

ZPC Kariba made one change to the team that started and earned a point against Caps United in the opening weekend last week with Tsepo Ranthokoane starting in place of Tawanda Nyamandwe while the hosts started with two strikers in Patrick Khumbula and Simba Sithole.

It became clear early on that part of Dynamos’ plan was to get a goal quickly and unsettle the ZPC defence which had veterans Norman Togara and Ephraim Mwinga.
The hosts saw much of the ball against an opponent that was content in sitting back, but all their attacks ended with a miscued shot or a wild cross.
Dynamos could have taken the lead as early as the second minute when Ronald Chitiyo got himself at the end of a cross inside the box, but blasted over the cross bar.

They had another chance four minutes later, but Cliff Sekete was denied by Hove.

Khumbula then wasted two good chances in the final minute of the first half as the two sides went to the break deadlocked, with ZPC guilty of not having tested the opposition keeper.

Dynamos continued to dominate play in the second stanza, Chitiyo’s snap shot from inside the box on 47th minute was well collected by the goalkeeper.

ZPC Kariba’s first shot on target would arrive after 50 minutes when Ranthokoane released a shot that produced a routine save from George Chigova.

Dynamos had a huge shout for a penalty moments later when Chitiyo appeared to tumble under challenge from inside the box, but the referee gave a freekick outside the area. Devon Chafa took responsibility, but his shot was saved well by the keeper.

Pasuwa introduced Oscar Machapa for Sekete just after the hour mark and Dynamos briefly increased the tempo, but they could not find the goal.

The fourth official signalled three minutes stoppage time and the feeling at that moment was that the match would drag to a goalless draw, but alas, Nyamiwa had other ideas.

Sounds of disapproval were heard from the Dynamos supporters as Pasuwa trudged off the pitch.

The gaffer bemoaned lack of a cutting edge by his strikers while ZPC Kariba coach Saul Chaminuka was naturally a happy man after collecting four points from two teams that are considered title contenders.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading