THREE more suspects linked to the 10kg diamond heist which took place last month at the Chinese-controlled Anjin Diamond Mine in Chiadzwa appeared at Mutare Magistrates’ Court yesterday charged with robbery.
BY OBEY MANAYITI
The trio of Zivanai Mashereni (36), Tinashe Ndapawadza (20) and Cainos Muchafunga (20) is believed to be part of the 12-member gang that pounced on the diamond mine on January 18 and made off with 10kg of diamond ore.
The court remanded them in custody to February 18.
Last week, four other suspects who included two soldiers appeared in court over the same case and were remanded in custody to February 5 after the State opposed their bail application.
The court heard that another suspect linked to the high-profile robbery Edmore Chingarande, allegedly shot himself dead as police were closing in on them.
The State alleges that the suspects, dressed in army uniform and armed with AK-47 assault rifles, stormed plant number 5 where they used bolt cutters to cut the security fence and threatened to shoot the security guard on duty.
They later broke the cage where the diamond ore was stored and loaded about 10kg of the ore into bags.
The State further alleges that upon interception, the accused sprayed 12 rounds into the air as a way of scaring off the security guards before speeding off with the loot.
The three accused who appeared in court yesterday were positively identified by police detectives and security guards after their pictures were captured by a CCTV installed at the mine.
However, their lawyer Farai Matinhure told the court that his clients had been assaulted by police during interrogation.
Matinhure told the court that police set dogs on the suspects in a bid to force them to plead guilty to the offence.
Presiding magistrate Noah Gwatidzo ordered the State to investigate the assault allegations raised by the suspects and report back to the court on the next remand date.