HomeSportSoccerTimely relief for Bosso, Dynamos

Timely relief for Bosso, Dynamos

-

DYNAMOS and Highlanders have received the news with a huge relief from the Premier Soccer League (PSL) that the board decided not to deduct fines from their prize monies provided they unveil payment plans.

REPORT BY RONALD MOYO
SPORTS REPORTER

The league champions had been the most affected, mostly by the fans’ behaviour as they accrued fines of up to $78 700 —
$8 700 more than the prize money they will receive today for winning their 20th league title.

Highlanders, who finished second, were fined $36 000 for various offences also involving their fans, and would have received $14 000 from their $50 000 prize money.

PSL chief executive Kennedy Ndebele said the clubs will be given their prize monies on condition that they produce payment plans for the penalties after a request by both Dynamos chairman Keni Mubaiwa and his Highlanders counterpart Peter Dube to write off the debts.

Ndebele said PSL has received the money from the league sponsors and clubs were going to get their dues anytime from today. Ndebele also confirmed that players who won individual awards have their dues available.

“We have received the money from the sponsors and clubs should expect their league moneys anytime from Tuesday (today). After sitting down as a board we decided that those clubs hit by disciplinary fines will produce payment plans and pay in instalments instead of the PSL deducting the money from their prize monies.

Players who won individual awards like the Soccer Star of the Year and Top Goal Scorer will also receive their money,” Ndebele said on the sidelines of a charity event in Bulawayo on Sunday.

Ndebele, however, said the deal between the PSL and the clubs will be done on condition that clubs bring their first instalments with the payment plans to show that they are committed to settle their dues.
“This will be done on condition that clubs bring their payment plans with their first instalments so that we see that they are willing to pay and their proposal is genuine,” Ndebele said.

Dynamos were the worst affected club by fines mostly from pitch invasions and missile-throwing by their supporters.

According to the standing orders and rules, missile-throwing or pitch invasion attracts a fine of $8 000 per incident.

Dynamos’ fans are said to have thrown missiles onto the Rufaro Stadium pitch during their Premiership match against Highlanders in April which ended in a 1-1 stalemate.

They are alleged to have done the same at Luveve Stadium on July 6 where they lost 1-0 to How Mine. At the Colliery Stadium in Hwange where they suffered their heaviest defeat of the season following a 2-4 hammering at the hands of Hwange in October, their fans are alleged to have thrown missiles onto the pitch.

Missiles were also alleged to have been thrown by their supporters in their goalless draw with Monomotapa and also in their 1-0 win over Highlanders at Barbourfields Stadium on October 27. DeMbare fans are also reported to have invaded the pitch against Caps United and in their last game of the season against Black Mambas.

Dynamos need, as a matter of urgency, $50 000 to play Mochudi Centre Chiefs in the preliminary round of the Caf Champions League and this is a timely boost for the champions after their principal sponsor BancABC said they will not fund their African safari.

The bank, however, will sign new deals with Dynamos and Highlanders for the next three years, while newly promoted Chapungu have already sealed a sponsorship package with BancEASY, a division of the bank.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading