HomeLocal NewsLatest on Fawcett cash robbery

Latest on Fawcett cash robbery

-

AT least $125 000 was stolen in the Eastern Highlands plantation heist that took place on Saturday where robbers pounced on Fawcett Security company vehicle carrying cash meant for plantation workers’ salaries, police have said.

OBEY MANAYITI,STAFF REPORTER

A four-man gang is alleged to have stage-managed an accident with a cash-in-transit security truck before raiding the vehicle near Selbourne in Honde Valley.

Earlier reports had suggested that close to $400 000 was lost in the heist involving the four robbers, three of whom had purportedly posed as traffic police officers.

Officer Commanding Manicaland Police (Operations) Assistant Commissioner David Mahoya yesterday told NewsDay that it had been established that only $125 000 was taken.

“Investigations are in progress now as we speak, but I need to state that the amount that was robbed is $125 000 and not $400 000,” said Mahoya.

He added that the security guards who were robbed were assisting police with investigations.

“Definitely they are assisting police with investigations. For us to manage the situation, we need their assistance because they are the ones with the story,” added Mahoya.

Circumstances into one of the biggest robberies in the country this year are that as the Fawcett Security truck was going to deliver cash to Eastern Highlands Plantations on Saturday morning, one of the robbers driving a lorry rammed into the cash-in-transit vehicle near Selbourne.

Three of the robbers who had disguised themselves as traffic police officers suddenly arrived on the scene pretending they wanted to offer help.

Unexpectedly they then disarmed the security officers and turned the guns on the guards ordering them to open the back of the truck where the cash was.

It is alleged that the robbers then loaded the money into their getaway car before speeding off along with the one who was driving the lorry.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading