FC Platinum march into fourth place


FC Platinum . . . . . . . (1) 2
Monomotapa . . . . . . . . . 0
FC Platinum moved into the top four on the log after beating relegation-threatened Monomotapa in a Castle Premiership match played at Mandava Stadium yesterday.


A goal in each half by Winston Mhango in the 14th minute and second half substitute Mitchelle Katsvairo in the 53rd minute sealed the match for the home sides as they moved to 36 points.

Platinum coach Lloyd Mutasa was impressed by his team’s performance ahead of Saturday’s BancABC Sup8r final against Shabanie Mine at the same venue.

“I think we were more prepared than Monomotapa and that is where we won the game. I am happy that we have managed to collect maximum points and I hope we will continue with the fine form and win our next matches,” he said.

His Monomotapa counterpart Biggie Zuze was a frustrated man after his team lost the match and bemoaned the numerous chances blown away by his strikers.

“I think it is becoming a norm for us to play beautiful football and not win matches. Clearly, we were the better side today, we created a lot of chances, but failed to convert them into goals. Credit should go to FC Platinum as they buried the chances they created,” Zuze said in his post-match analysis
Platinum dominated the opening stages of the match and their dominance paid off after 14 minutes when Mhango struck the opener.

Charles Sibanda, who had yet another fine afternoon, raced unmarked on the left flank and delivered a low cross which Monomotapa’s Nelson Meson cleared, only as far as Mhango’s path and the FC Platinum midfielder made no mistake hitting the back of the net from the edge of the box.

The home side could have gone two up six minutes later when they won a free kick on the edge of the box, but Sibanda’s effort missed the target by a whisker.
The visitors had a golden chance to level the scores in the 37th minute, but Agrippa Murimba failed to tap into a yawning net after Ronald Chitiyo, arguably the man-of-the-match, had sent a low cross from the left side that eluded everyone.

In the second half, Monomotapa came back more organised, dominating play with some neat passes that left Mandava Stadium in awe, but the Harare side failed to translate the dominance into goals. Instead, it was the home side that grabbed the second in the 53rd minute when Katsvairo was set up by Sibanda on the left flank and outpaced Last Sithole before unleashing a stinger into the near post.

Monoz continued with their tiki-taka type of football and could have been rewarded in the 66th minute when Charles Rukwanhi released a shot from about 20 yards which Petro Mhari, in goal for Platinum spilled.

Aaron Katebe, however, reacted quickly and cleared the danger.