ZANU PF Harare province says it has put in place plans to ensure an emphatic victory in 2018 and to wrest all the 29 Harare seats in the MDC-T stronghold.
REPORT BY MOSES MATENGA
In an interview with NewsDay last week, the party’s provincial chairperson Amos Midzi said there was no time to waste and party structures were already on the ground meeting people in preparation for 2018.
“I am happy that we managed to break the myth that Harare was exclusively an MDC-T territory,” said Midzi. “Now that we have broken it, it’s my conviction that we will get more seats in 2018 and we have started putting plans into action to gain ground in Harare.”
On allegations by the MDC-T that Zanu PF won the seven Harare seats through vote rigging, Midzi said the MDC-T was not being honest and should concede defeat.
“The fact of the matter is that the MDC-T went into this election knowing very well that there were rules of the game. They helped to craft those rules and it’s now absurd that the game has been played and they now want to appeal. They are doing all that in bad faith,” said Midzi.
Since 2000, the MDC-T had enjoyed dominance in urban areas, but the July 31 election results seem to have revived Zanu PF fortunes in big cities.
The MDC-T has, however, disputed the election results alleging that thousands of unregistered people were bussed into Harare to vote.