A HARARE woman has taken two doctors to court claiming $1,5 million in damages for the injuries she allegedly sustained while undergoing surgery at a private hospital two years ago.
The woman, Musashame Manyau, claimed she suffered severe burns on her back, buttocks and thighs, which burns were caused by an electric blanket used during surgery.
In her claim, she cited Dr Jasper Chimedza, one Dr Mombeshora and Avenues Clinic as first, second and third respondents respectively.
According to Manyau, the incident leading to the lawsuit occurred sometime in June 2011, after she had suffered a nasal ailment.
Manyau said she visited Chimedza, who recommended that she should go for surgery and was booked at Montagu Clinic.
“On June 22, at the instance of the first defendant, plaintiff was admitted for operation and second respondent was the attending anaesthetist. The first, second and third respondents owed plaintiff a duty of care during the operation and post-operative treatment,” Manyau’s lawyer said.
Manyau said in breach of the aforementioned duties, all the respondents failed and/or neglected to ensure that she was operated on safely in a manner guaranteeing her healthy and safe recovery.
“As a result of the defendants’ negligence, the plaintiff suffered severe burns on her back, on her buttocks and thighs, which burns were caused by an electric blanket used during the operation or convalescence, which blanket the defendants must have ensured that it was properly operated or efficient,” the lawyers said.
Responding to the claim, Chimedza denied acting negligently or causing Manyau’s burns.
“He denies being under any obligations to monitor the electric blanket. He was not responsible for monitoring theatre equipment, but his role was confined to carrying out the operation.
“Whether the blanket malfunctioned or was inefficient does not lie in his domain,” Chimedza’s lawyer said.
The other respondents, Mombeshora and the clinic also denied the claims.