HomeSportSoccerShabanie beat Rhinos

Shabanie beat Rhinos


SHABANIE MINE finally got it right in their fight against relegation with a 2-0 victory over struggling Black Rhinos in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match played at Maglas Stadium in Zvishavane yesterday.


Fungai Chirinda’s first-minute strike and a Valentine Ndaba penalty in the 79th minute secured the three points for the home side, as they moved from 15th
place to 11th.

The win, however, was not enough to douse the fires threatening to burn the Shabanie Mine house as the home fans staged a demonstration against the executive outside the stadium after the match.

Police had to be called in to disperse the angry fans who were calling for club president Greg Mataka and secretary Chengetai Phiri’s departure from the club.

Shabanie coach Luke Masomere was not at liberty to discuss the goings-on at the asbestos miners, but chose to focus on matters on the field of play.

“It was a sweet victory considering that we were coming from two consecutive defeats. I think with the way we played, we deserved the three points and I see this as a positive start to our fight against relegation,” he said after the match.

Arthur Tutani, the Black Rhinos coach, conceded defeat, but blamed his team’s poor performance on fatigue.

“We did not have enough rest after our game on Saturday and that affected us. We only trained on Sunday and yesterday (Monday), we were on the road. We slept over in Gweru and this morning we were on the road to Zvishavane and that did not give us enough time to rest.

“As a result, my boys were fatigued and could not perform well,” Tutani said.

Shabanie started the match brightly and were duly rewarded as early as the first minute when former Gunners midfielder Chirinda got to the end of a poor clearance by veteran Rhinos defender Lloyd Nyamadzawo on the edge of the box to send a first time volley flying into the nets.

Tarisai Rukanda could have made it 2-0 for the hosts in the 62nd minute when he shielded the ball well from a Chirinda pass inside the box, but shot tamely at goal.

However, he made amends in the 79th minute when he made a solo run, but was hacked down in the box inside the box by Bruce Homora.

Ndaba converted from the spot after referee Mlindeli Ndebele had pointed to the spot.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading