HomeLife & StyleMacheso cancels Bulawayo show

Macheso cancels Bulawayo show

-

SUNGURA musician Alick Macheso has been forced to cancel his concert scheduled for next Friday as it clashed with the Bulawayo Comes Alive Music Festival pencilled in for the same day.

Report by Khulani Nkabinde

Bulawayo Comes Alive Music Festival organiser, Majahawodwa “Jeys Marabini” Ndlovu told NewsDay yesterday that Macheso had to cancel his show after realising that it would be a counter attraction.

“His promoter phoned me and told me to cancel my show and I told him that there was no way we were going to do that as we have been talking about this show for a long time now,” he said.

“I explained to him that Macheso was the one who was supposed to cancel his show instead.”

Jeys accused promoters of undermining Bulawayo musicians, saying they should first check if there were no other shows before scheduling concerts in the city.

“These people from Harare should first check what is happening in Bulawayo before just coming here and putting up posters to say there is a show on such and such a date,” he charged.

“They should also make sure that Bulawayo musicians are given an opportunity to perform at their shows and not just bring their own people.”

Macheso’s promoter Tafadwa Maridadi confirmed that the show had been postponed to August 2.

“We did not know that there was another function in Bulawayo on the same day,” he said. “So we thought to give them a chance and we will have ours on a later date.”

Maridadi apologised for the mix-up, saying they had planned their show in January and it was not their intention to have a counter attraction.

Jeys said the festival to be held at Masina Sports Garden in Luveve suburb will be broadcast live by the Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading