ABUJA — Nigeria have dropped three players from their pre-Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) camp in Faro, Portugal, supersport.com can report. Report by Supersport
The three players are Rabiu Ibrahim, Papa Idris and Henry Uche. On Saturday, Rizespor forward, Uche Kalu ruled himself out of Afcon after struggling to overcome a groin injury.
“Head coach, Stephen Keshi has left out three players from his plans for the Nations Cup. The players are Rabiu Ibrahim, Papa Idris and Henry Uche. We have more than 23 players in camp and the chop had to take place somehow. So apart from Uche Kalu who had been excused due to injury, these three will leave camp.
“Interestingly, the players left out are still part of the plans of the coach for the 2014 Fifa World Cup qualifiers that will be played this year. So Rabiu, Papa Idris and Henry Uche are still in the team,” spokesman of the Nigerian squad told supersport.com yesterday.
However, there are still 27 players in Nigeria’s pre-Afcon camp and four more players are expected to be dropped this week from the Super Eagles’ squad.
Keshi has said his 23-man squad for the Afcon would be announced today, a day before Caf’s submission deadline for the participating teams. The Afcon in South Africa will take place from January 19 to February.