Man faces extradition over R4,6m heist

LUPANE — A court on Tuesday granted an extradition order for a man who was employed by a South African security firm and allegedly disappeared with part of R4,6 million meant for automated teller machines (ATMs) in 2009.


Jethro Tshuma (41) of Pine Road Lockview in Bulawayo, allegedly fled into Zimbabwe and was only arrested at his home in Bulawayo on January 17 this year.

His arrest followed the issuing of a warrant of arrest by South African authorities through Interpol.

On Tuesday, Tshuma appeared before Lupane magistrate Takudzwa Gwazemba. The State led by Sanders Sibanda applied for his extradition to South Africa.

The magistrate granted the application before ordering that Tshuma be remanded in custody pending the extradition.

The court heard that Tshuma was employed by SBV Selby in Johannesburg as a driver.

On April 30 2009, he was assigned to transport 21 canvas bags containing R4 656 000 cash with the assistance of Michael Alton Booysen, the bagman.

Tshuma later sent the bagman to look for Longman Nsele Cyril Sphiwe Mduduzi, one of their team members.

He allegedly took the opportunity to disappear with part of the money meant for FNB Bank ATMs.

The vehicle was recovered abandoned along a railway line, but the cash was not recovered.

Tshuma was also convicted by the Lupane magistrate for violating dual citizenship laws after he was found in possession of Zimbabwean and South African passports.

He was fined $100 or two months in jail and the South African passport was forfeited to the State.

Tshuma was also convicted for possessing two Zimbabwean identity cards and fined $100 or two months in jail.

The court heard that on January 17, detectives from the Criminal Investigations Department arrested Tshuma in connection with the theft that occurred in South Africa.

When they searched him they discovered he had Zimbabwean and South Africa passports.

On the South Africa passport he used the name Jerotte Menzi Khumalo. The passport had a photograph similar to the one on the Zimbabwean passport.

Tshuma had used the South African passport to travel between Zimbabwe and South Africa between October 4 2008 and February 22 2009.

He was also found in possession of two Zimbabwean identity cards with two different numbers, but with his photographs on them.

Related Posts