MANGWE district education authorities have succumbed to pressure from parents at Makuzeze Primary School who called for the reinstatement of teachers who were set to be transferred from the school by a former acting headmistress.
Yesterday, NewsDay learnt that the Education, Sport, Arts and Culture ministry had written reinstatement letters to the three teachers following the parents’ calls.
The development came after over 90 disgruntled parents stormed the school two weeks ago demanding the ouster of acting headmistress Victoria Pasipanodya.
The parents accused Pasipanodya of maladministration and unfairly removing the teachers from the school.
Sources at the school yesterday said the teachers were given their letters by Mangwe district education officer Headman Mpofu on Monday morning at the school.
“The letters stated that the education office saw it necessary for the teachers to remain at the school because it had found a ‘technical error’ in the redeployment letters issued to them,” said the source speaking on condition of anonymity.
Pasipanodya left the school after the demonstration and a new head is set to be deployed at the school.
Mpofu on Monday declined to comment on the matter, referring all questions to Matabeleland South provincial education director Tumisang Thabela.
Thabela was on Monday said to be out of office and would be back today.
Last week, pressure group Mthwakazi Youth Leaders Joint Resolution said it was considering taking the matter to court if authorities did not rescind their decision to transfer the three teachers.
This was after Mpofu insisted that the redeployment of the three teachers to new stations be upheld.
Mthwakazi Youth Leaders Joint Resolution spokesperson Mqondisi Moyo yesterday commended the Makuzeze parents for what he called fighting for justice.
“We want to thank the parents for standing firm in fighting for their rights up to a point where the district education officer finally swallowed his pride and granted them their demands,” he said.