Bolasie replaced in DRC squad

LUBUMBASHI — Yannick Bolasie has been replaced in the provisional Democratic Republic of Congo squad for the Africa Cup of Nations finals because he does not want to go to the tournament, officials said on Tuesday.

Report by Supersport

Uncapped winger Bolasie, who plays for English Championship (second division) club Crystal Palace, was named last month in a preliminary squad of 28 for the tournament in South Africa which starts on January 19.

Bolasie’s agent told the BBC Sport last month the 23-year-old player felt he was not ready for international football and he has been replaced by Saudi-based player Yves Diba, the Congolese Football Federation said.

Diba will join up with the squad when they start a training camp in Oman tomorrow.

Congo will cut their squad to 23 by January 9. They play their opening Group B match against Ghana in Port Elizabeth on January 20.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *