CHAOS continued to rock Zanu PF structures yesterday amid revelations that its Bulawayo provincial youth wing had been dissolved following an outbreak of violence at the party’s Davies Hall headquarters last Friday.
Report by Nduduzo Tshuma Staff Reporter
The party was reportedly negotiating with parents of victims of those injured during Friday’s skirmishes to withdraw their cases from the police so that Zanu PF could handle the matter internally.
Violence broke out when members of the national youth executive visited the city to preside over the election of a new provincial chairperson after provincial leader Butholezwe Gatsi’s demotion was confirmed by the Zanu PF politburo last month.
With a month before the party holds its conference in Gweru, Bulawayo is likely to take an interim youth executive to the meeting.
The party was struggling to elect a substantive chairperson for the provincial executive due to infighting.
The national youth executive comprising political commissar Mike Gava, secretary for finance Obert Mutasa, secretary for security John Mushayi, secretary for information and publicity Bekezela Sibanda, director of youth affairs Tapiwa Zengeya and former Bulawayo youth chairperson Khumbulani Mlilo, on Saturday, resolved to dissolve the entire structure following running battles the previous day.
“Soon after the decision, the national executive went to the party’s districts informing them of the move.
“They briefed youth league boss and politburo member Absolom Sikhosana who did not object to the developments,” a source said yesterday.
“Sikhosana told the national youth executive that since they were the ones on the ground, they knew better what decision could be made for the benefit of the party.”
Sikhosana yesterday reportedly briefed the party’s national commissariat department of developments in Bulawayo.
“Sikhosana briefed the commissariat verbally and said members of the national youth executive were still compiling a report of what happened and resolutions they made,” the source said.
“The report will be compiled before the end of today (yesterday) and forwarded to the commissariat department.” Sikhosana was noncommittal on the issue when contacted for comment.
“I heard about the incident, but it is nothing to write home about,” he said. “It is an internal party matter and the party has a way to deal with it.”
Politburo member Sikhanyiso Ndlovu declined to comment saying they had their national structures headed by Sikhosana, whom he said was the right person to talk to.
“However, what I can say is that we condemn any acts of violence in the party. I have said this before, we do not condone people engaging in violent activities,” he said. Mutasa was quoted in the State media saying an announcement of an interim committee for the youth would be announced today.