NATIONAL U-17 soccer team coach Lloyd Chigove said the postponement of their African Youth Championships second round, second leg match away to Congo Brazzaville has given him more time to prepare his team.
Report by Henry Mhara Sports Reporter
The match, which had been set for today in Congo, will now be played next Tuesday.
Initially, the match was supposed to take place last Saturday before Zifa requested it to be moved forward to allow the Young Warriors players to write their Ordinary Level examinations.
Congo, who are carrying a 2-1 advantage into the decisive match, had wanted the match to be played this Saturday, but Caf on Wednesday said the match should be played on Tuesday.
Chigove, who will travel with an almost completely new squad from the one that took part in the first leg as the bulk are still writing examinations, said the postponement has given him time to shape up his squad.
“It has given me a little bit of time to prepare the team. This is like a completely new team so the more they play together now will help us in Congo. I would have wanted to travel with the team that I have been using in the previous rounds, but circumstances are not allowing. I will have to do with what I have. I believe the players in camp are very capable of winning in Congo,” said Chigove.
Notable absentees from the squad are Tatenda Mukuruva, Bastos Chihowa, Tino Kadewere, Tinashe Muza, Denzel Chimwemwe and Sean Kwaramba who were all in the starting line-up for the Young Warriors in the first leg.
The Young Warriors, who are expected to fly out for Congo tomorrow, played a preparatory match against Monomotapa reserve side yesterday. Chigove is expected to name his final travelling squad today.
Players in camp:
T Munditi, T Chilenga, T Madadire, C Bingala, L Genti, A Muzambwa, A Tandi, J Ngulube, A Mpofu, N Munetsi, C Kapupurika, M Choreva, N Makumbe. T Samuriwo, C Mavhurume, J Mubaira, L Tauzeni, S Mavuto, M Chigaba, K Mutandagari, D Chimwemwe, M Muza