THE England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has apologised to Cricket South Africa (CSA) for claiming Kevin Pietersen was coaxed into sending messages about team-mates.
The ECB “unreservedly accepts” that the messages were not part of a plan to undermine the England team.
The two parties still disagree on the sequence of events, but consider the matter closed.
But the ECB said it wished to “reiterate that it has no issue at all with CSA or the Proteas players”.
Earlier this month ECB chief executive David Collier told BBC Radio 5 live’s Sportsweek that there was a “policy” and a “tactic” used by South Africa, claiming Pietersen (32) responded to messages sent by opposition players.
However, CSA acting chief executive Jacques Faul told BBC World Service: “That’s not the way we play our cricket.
“It is absolute rubbish we would have a conspiracy to talk to Kevin Pietersen and provoke him by sending messages.”
After both boards discussed the matter, an apology was issued by the ECB and accepted by CSA.
Pietersen was dropped for the third Test after he allegedly sent messages criticising England captain Andrew Strauss to South Africa players during the second Test between the sides in August.
Pietersen will undergo a reintegration period involving face-to-face meetings to rebuild trust with the other players.
Troubled times for Pietersen
MAY 31 2012: Announces retirement from international limited-overs cricket
August 11: Commits to all forms of international cricket in a YouTube interview
August 12: Dropped for third Test against South Africa for sending “provocative texts” about team-mates to opposition players
August 21: Left out of England squad for World Twenty20
September 7: Not awarded ECB central contract
September 18: Omitted from England Test squad for winter tour of India
October 3: New four-month contract agreed