A joint blitz involving Harare Municipal Police and members of the Zimbabwe Republic Police aimed at restoring order at city ranks has so far netted 700 kombis, it emerged yesterday.
Report by Staff Reporter
The joint operation, code-named Nguva Yakwana, was launched on Tuesday.
Council spokesperson Leslie Gwindi confirmed the development yesterday.
He said: “The operation is going on well and we had netted more than 700 vehicles as of Wednesday. We are yet to receive today’s (yesterday) report, but I can assure you the city is shaping up.
“We don’t have the actual figures of how much people have paid, but they are paying up.”
A survey by NewsDay showed that most of the undesignated ranks had been deserted with all kombis now using the 10 designated ranks in the city centre.
Gwindi said the operation was aimed at getting rid of touts and rank marshals, who have been accused of stealing council revenue and terrorising passengers and kombi operators.