The Zanu PF component in the inclusive government is reportedly recruiting soldiers and members of the Central Intelligence Organisation (CIO) and giving them critical positions to direct the upcoming national population census.
MDC-T has raised the stink, alleging that Zanu PF is using underhand tactics in an attempt to influence the outcome of the counting.
Party spokesperson Douglas Mwonzora yesterday said they had received reports indicating that Zanu PF, through its proxies, was in a drive to ensure effective control of the process.
“We have received reports that Zanu PF wants to monopolise the process and this is happening in Zaka, Masvingo and Manicaland. There are confirmed reports of attempts to abuse the process by members of Zanu PF,” Mwonzora said.
Highly-placed sources told NewsDay that the security forces recruited would be handsomely paid, receiving $90 daily allowances plus a flat fee of $800.
“The soldiers and members of the CIO are boasting, saying anyone without Zanu PF links will not find a job in the Census. They say it’s their time,” said one headmaster from Nyanga.
In Kwekwe, where training of staff is being conducted at Kwekwe Polytechnic College, known CIO operatives were recently seen taking part in the training process.
The census is crucial in the upcoming general elections, as figures would be used in the delimitation of constituencies.
Justice deputy minister Obert Gutu said his office was aware of attempts by the army and CIO to hijack the process, saying teachers in Epworth and Harare had been elbowed out in favour of the army.
“They are going on with their screening process and are targeting people who are perceived to be MDC-T sympathisers. So we will take the matter to the relative authorities to intervene and make sure this chaos is stopped,” said Gutu.
ZimStats director-general Mutasa Dzinotizei was reportedly out of office on Friday when NewsDay called his office and was not reachable at the time of going to print yesterday.
Efforts to get a comment from Zanu PF also failed, as party spokesperson Rugare Gumbo and secretary for administration Dydimus Mutasa were not reachable on their mobile phones.