HomeSportSoccerHighlanders plead guilty

Highlanders plead guilty


Highlanders have appeared before the Premier Soccer League (PSL) disciplinary committee and await judgment in the case in which their fans turned violent during the match they drew 1-1 against Harare City at Barbourfields Stadium on July 1.

PSL chief executive officer Kenny Ndebele yesterday confirmed that the log leaders appeared before the disciplinary committee led by chairman Don Moyo on July 12.

“They appeared before the disciplinary committee in Harare on July 12 and pleaded guilty and we expect the judgment anytime soon,” Ndebele said.

Bosso fans at the Soweto end turned rowdy after they were incensed by assistant referee Salani Ncube’s decision to disallow Beaven Chikaka’s goal seven minutes before the final whistle.

Ncube adjudged that Chikaka had fouled Harare City shot stopper Nomore John and raised his flag, forcing the referee Philani Ncube to disallow the goal.

Thereafter, Bosso fans at the Soweto end were riled by John’s time-wasting antics as Harare City looked satisfied holding on to a 1-1 draw and started raining missiles on the pitch.

Highlanders had scored in the sixth minute through a penalty by veteran midfielder Mthulisi Maphosa with the visitors equalising through Godfrey Nguwodzawo in the 73rd minute.

Anti-riot police quelled the disturbances after the match had been stopped for 10 minutes and play resumed before a virtually empty stadium.

Bosso become the third team to be arraigned before the PSL disciplinary committee for violence-related charges after Caps United were fined $6 000 following crowd trouble which led to the abandonment of their match against Chicken Inn on April 7.

The match was abandoned in added time when Chicken were leading 2-0 and has since been awarded to Chicken Inn on a 3-0 scoreline.

Dynamos are appealing against a PSL disciplinary committee decision to have their match against Hwange re-played at a neutral venue after their bouncers assaulted the coal-miners’ coaches Nation Dube and Mebelo Njekwa at Rufaro Stadium on May 6 just before the match.

The Glamour Boys had won the match 4-2.

The case is now before the Zifa Appeals Committee and awaits arbitration.

The PSL regulations state that it is an offence on the part of the club if “it fails to provide adequate security at its venue; causing the abandonment or attempting to cause the abandonment of a match; throwing or attempting to throw missiles, bottles and other objects, whether potentially harmful or dangerous or not, on to the pitch, or at any person”.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading