Chinhoyi municipality has begun searching for a new substantive town clerk six months after the dismissal of Ezekiel Muringani who is contesting his ouster.
Council finance and human resources committee chairperson Divies Zinduru yesterday confirmed that the local authority had shortlisted five candidates for interviews next week.
“Indeed, council has started the process to recruit a new substantive town clerk and interviews would be held on June 21. We hope to fill the position as soon as possible so that efficiency is enhanced at council,” said Zinduru.
Although Zinduru refused to disclose the shortlisted candidates, NewsDay was reliably informed housing director Timothy Maregere and acting health director William Mayabo were among the invitees for interviews for the powerful post.
Interestingly, acting town clerk and Makonde district administrator Webster Tembo did not apply for the job, sources said.
Former Chinhoyi town clerk Muringani has launched an appeal against his dismissal from the helm of the local authority describing it as an “unlawful, un
The Local Government Board on January 27 2012 adopted the recommendation by a council-appointed probe team to boot out Muringani for allegedly falsely claiming medical aid and incompetence. The board presides over the appointments and dismissal of all senior council officials.
The 15-member probe team, led by renowned lawyer Alec Muchadehama, opened investigations into Muringani’s conduct in August last year following his suspension by suspended Mayor Claudius Nyamhondoro on 13 July.
Muringani was facing charges of falsely claiming over $12 000 medical assistance when he was on full medical aid and another of dereliction of duty.
The dereliction of duty charge stemmed from his alleged failure to supervise former finance director William Mandinde, who was fired last year for allegedly defrauding council of $79 629,68.
At the start of the inquiry, Muringani was also facing a charge of collecting and pocketing $4 135 cash from council’s main revenue collection point in 2010 without signing for it. The charge was later dropped owing to insufficient evidence.