The lawyer representing 1:2 Infantry Batallion base commander Lieutenant Colonel Mpulaeng Siziba and three of his alleged accomplices yesterday said his clients were likely to be acquitted on a poaching charge they are facing.
Thembelani Khumalo said the docket containing the charges had since been referred to Attorney-General Johannes Tomana’s Office in Harare to decide on whether they should be charged or have the charges withdrawn.
Siziba (52) and three of his subordinates — Sergeant Lizwe Mudimba (33), Corporal Manatsa Hlabano (32) and Lance Corporal Jameson Pirukayi (24) — are facing four counts of poaching and failure to secure a firearm, leading to the death of three Hwange family members.
“The charges of poaching will definitely fall away against all of them because they had been invited by the owner of the farm to come and shoot animals,” Khumalo said.
“If that charge is withdrawn, that means Siziba is out of the case as he was not involved in the second count where the shooting happened and that will leave his subordinates facing that charge.”
Siziba and his subordinates will appear in court on June 18 when the docket is expected to be back at Hwange Magistrates’ Court. The suspects are out of custody on $50 bail each accompanied by stringent conditions.