ROME — Usain Bolt proved his slowest run in three years a week ago was nothing but a blip as he was back to his best at the Diamond League meeting on Thursday.
The world record holder had disappointed in Ostrava with a time of 10,04secs, which he himself described as slow, although he still won.
But there was no hint of such sluggishness this time around on a track generally considered to be fast. The Olympic champion bolted away from the field to win in a time of 9,76secs, the fastest in the world this year and a new meeting record.
Perennial bridesmaid Asafa Powell simply could not live with his Jamaican compatriot and was second in 9,91secs, although television replays suggested he stepped out of his lane in his first few strides.
European champion Christophe Lemaitre was third in 10,04secs despite a woeful start that saw him practically last. Bolt said he had been getting extra sleep in a bid to put his Ostrava run behind him.
“Since I arrived in Rome I made sure I was in bed early so I got a lot of rest and slept a lot,” he said.
“In Ostrava I had not had enough sleep, this race was much better than in Ostrava. The execution of my race was not perfect but improved, I executed well, my drive was better and I started well. The transition was also better.
“After Ostrava a lot of people doubted me but I never questioned myself, I am just happy with myself.”
1. Usain Bolt (JAM) 9,76m
2. Asafa Powell (JAM) 9,91m
3. Christophe Lemaitre (FRA) 10,04m
9. Simon Magakwe (RSA) 10,33m
1. Leonard Kirwa Kosencha (KEN) 1:44,42
2. Marcin Lewandowski (POL) 1:44,64
3. Andrew Osagie (GBR) 1:44,71
Men’s 4 x 100m Relay
1. Canada 38,63secs
2. Britain 38,82secs
3. Switzerland 39,08secs
Men’s 4 x 400m Relay
1. Britain 3:01,76
2. Botswana 3:03,89
3. Spain 3:03,89
Men’s High jump
1. Robert Grabarz (GBR) 2,33m
2. Trevor Barry (BAH) 2,31m
2. Jesse Williams (USA) 2,31m
Men’s Long jump
1. Greg Rutherford (GBR) 8.32m
2. Godfrey Khotso Mokoena (RSA) 8,20m
3. Aleksandr Menkov (RUS) 8,17m
1. Murielle Ahoure (CIV) 11,00secs
2. Shelly-Ann Fraser (JAM) 11,06secs
3. Kerron Stewart (JAM) 11,10secs
1. Fantu Magiso (ETH) 1:57,56
2. Pamela Jelimo (KEN) 1:58,33
3. Mariya Savinova (RUS) 1:58,56
1. Abeba Arigawi (ETH) 3:56,54
2. Hellen Onsando Obiri (KEN) 3:59,68
3. Genzebe Dibaba (ETH) 4:00,85