One of Kwekwes oldest drinking joints, which at one time served as a tourist attraction in the gold mining town, was reduced to ashes on Africa Day.
The grass thatched tavern, owned by Kwekwe municipality, was built in the 1960s. It caught fire as patrons enjoyed drinks inside at around midday last Friday.
According to eye witnesses, the tavern caught fire from the roof after a strong wind carried sparks from a wild fire that was raging outside the premises of the tavern.
Stock worth thousands of dollars including money is believed to have been lost in the inferno, but nobody was injured as patrons quickly scurried for safety.